Bad Prozac reaction after 5 days. Please help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello! my dr put me on 10mg prozac 2 weeks ago i took it for 5 days and it caused me severe nausea, diarreah and anxiety so i stopped its been 1 full week and I feel like im getting worse the anxiety is out of control i cant eat or sleep how on earth did only 5 days of this make me feel this bad? how long until im ok again? im quite honestly scared were going out of the country tomorrow for vacation and im TERRIFIED i have valium but im scared to even take it i need some sleep someone please ease my mind will i ever be ok again? is this normal?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

jillie-you poor thing!what terrible timing for you!

YES-you will get better! Prozac has a long half-life so it stays in your system longer than other antidepressants

Please take your valium to ease your mind & allow you to sleep. I have had to use xanax to get me thru horrible anxiety episodes.

You sound like you are getting yourself even more worked up by sll of this-especially because of the stress of going away

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try to relax!

THIS WILL BE OVER SOON! Please DO USE the valiumthis is what it is meant for!

GO ENJOY YOUR VACATION! Relax your mind & your body will follow it's lead

You already have one week behind you with no prozac! It will be out of you shortly.

BE WELL!

• Posted

Barbara, I cannot tell you how much this means to me right now. I actually choked up a little reading your comment. I've felt no emotion for 2 weeks besides irritation, so that gives me hope

This all started with a severely sprained ankle a month ago that put me on the couch all month. I already have to go on my vacation in a cast, so you can imagine how that's effecting me.

Yes, I am probably getting myself worked up. I just wish I could eat. That would help. I wanted to lose a few pounds for this bathing suit I have to squeeze into this week, but not like this!

Again, thank you for taking your time to respond to my fear ridden post.

• Edited

Bless you Jillie I promise you you will get better but you need to learn about what's happening in your body. You sound like your going into fight, flight and freeze. You need to learn to calm your nervous system.

learn my you tubing, googling how to calm it. once you start learning these skills and practicing these you will feel so much better. I have had to work so hard to get better so I understand it's not easy. Take the valium as I've learnt if you don't sleep everything is 100 times worse.

Brilliant life changing books is little peace of mind by Nicola Bird and The body keeps the score Bessel Van Der Kolk.

I really hope this helps you in some way and as Barbara said go and have a really lovely holiday x

• Posted

lisa, thank you so much for the advice! I just downloaded the book to my kindle I'll read that on the airplane today. Ive been trying to focus on my breathing and relaxing, but as you can imagine with kids and animals running around the house, its hard. My vacation is just my husband and I, so I'm hoping that will help. I just need to get there and calm down. I just keep thinking that I ruined my nervous system! I've never in my life felt like this. It's so awful.

Thank you again for the suggestions. i will definitely try them!

• Posted

I promise you you haven't as the mistakes I've made in the past mine should be ha ha x listen I can 100% tell you if you put the work in and start learning and you tubing then practising mindfulness you will get better. I have kids and had some awful rough times where I doubted I would never get better but from pure determination to learn how to as my focus was to get better for my kids and the kids I work with I am on the right path and you will be. Enjoy your holiday and book X

• Posted

Hello

As other people wrote, I'm sure those awful initial side effects will be gone. For me, it took 8-9 weeks. I'm on FLU 40mg now for 15 weeks.

Please be patient and strong even if I know if it's so hard.

For me Mirtazapine 15mg for sleep also helped me reduce anxiety (i don't need it anymore since my sleep is ok). i didn't take benzodiazepines. i only took Hydroxyzine Pam that is antihistamine for anxiety.

And I was chewing ginger root that calmed me down.

• Edited

Hi,

I realise this post was from a few months ago, but I was just wondering how you are feeling now?

I took fluoxetine for 5 days and I feel like I am in a constant state of panic. I've been off now for 2 days. I am really worried that my health will not go back to how it was. I am struggling to eat, I have absolutely no appetite. This is my main area of concern as all my anxiety is around food, and if I will be able to eat. With no appetite, it's really hard. I feel so low, and terribly scared. I have been having several panic attacks, I am not sleeping properly, life really sucks at the minute.

The Doctor has prescribed me some diazepam. I have taken them a couple of times as I have really needed it, but I am scared of becoming addicted and not being able to deal with the issues

How long has it taken you to start feeling better?

Thanks,

• Edited

Hi Becbenmm!

I slowly started to shake it off after a couple if weeks! I'd say it took a whole month to get all the way back to normal. I will NEVER put that crap in my body again. That was by far the worst I have EVER felt. It's amazing how such a small dose of something for such a short period of time can really mess you up. It makes you really wonder what it's doing to your body. I really thought I was losing my sanity for a few days. I thought I had ruined my nervous system forever. ALLLLL the worries! I didn't eat for 2 weeks. I constantly felt sick. Try some saltines and work your way up. The book "Little Peace Of Me" was really helpful. I took the Diazapam a few times to take the edge off. I still take it every now and again if I have high anxiety. I would much rather take something on the rare occasion that I need it instead of every day. I use essential oils now also. I drank lots of water to flush it out. I was where you are 5 months ago. It's scary, I know. but it will get better! lots of hugs and well wishes!

• Posted

Hi,

sorry, me again. I'm a week off now, and still feeling crap, so hoping that in the next week that things start to ease.

I meant to ask, did you try a different med after your horrid experience?

Thank you.

Rebecca x

• Edited

hi @Becbenmm! I'm so sorry, I forgot to respond! how are you feeling now? i did not switch to a new med since this awful experience. I still have my prescription for diazapam which I only use as needed, which isn't often. I have been using CBD oil every night to help with sleep and I have noticed that I have had next to NO anxiety since starting it. I have also been using essential oils. I don't know if they help, but they smell good and my sleep and anxiety has improved tremendously. But it has also been summer and i usually have more anxiety in the winter, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the improvement or not, only time will tell.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply. It does mean the world to me you have taken the time to respond.

I can't believe how bad I have felt either after only 5 days, and the same as you, I will never put that stuff back into my body again!! Yes, I feel like I have completely ruined myself by trying to make things better. I am constantly on the edge of a panic attack, it really is the worst feeling ever.

I hope I will be like you and up this whole experience will just be a bad memory soon.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.