Bad Reaction to Co-codamol

Posted , 16 users are following.

I don't take regular pain killers but since a bad reaction I had to co-codamol I have avoided them since. I can't find anything on the web about allergies, and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

I'd taken the odd co-codamol from being about 12, and only really took probably one or two doses when I had a severe headache. My 17th birthday was one of these occasions, and as I'd planned some celebrations I took 2 co-codamol. 30 mins later I started with slight chest pains, felt dizzy and felt sick. So ill I went to bed and missed my lovely meal! Didn't really associate this to the tablets, as I'd taken them before without a reaction.

However, 2 years later, christmas eve, I had a bad headache and took 2 co-codamol because, again, I wanted to get on and enjoy the celebrations. This time, about 30 mins later, I began with more severe chest pains, I vomited, had tingling symptoms in my left arm, had problems getting my breath, felt clammy and hot and struggled to stand. It really alarmed my boyfriend, who called NHS Direct. They sent me straight to A and E as I'd described the symptoms of a heart attack. At the hospital they took blood tests, run an ECG but both came back blank. They sent me home and said \"you must have had a bad reaction to the tablets\". 3 hours later, after a sleep, I felt fine and proceeded with my christmas.

What worries me is that no one has actually confirmed whether or not it's an allergy or just a bad reaction or even coincidence. If I take co-codamol again, will the reaction be more severe? Is there somehow I can find out? (without obviously taking another dose!)

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just found these posts about cocodamol and am convinced now that the pain and horrible frightening crushing feeling I had in my chest was a side effect of these tablets. Doc gave me them 3 days ago for back pain and this is the 2nd time I've experienced this awful pain. Lasts over an hour and is really scary. Feels like someone is sitting on my chest and stomach. Difficult to breath properly. Wondering if this is going to ease at all. Not a nice feeling. Certainly won't be taking co codamol again.

• Posted

Im so glad i found this form!! I badly sprint my ankle and torn ligaments.. i toke 2 co codamol and an ibrupfen around 8pm lastnight. Ive been suffering bad chest pains around my chest and ribs. The pain isnt as bad ad it was lastnight but how can i get rid off this pain. Please someone help me i havent been able to sleep with this pain. Im never taking co codamol ever again. This is scarying me nd i thought i was taking a heart attack or stroke.
  • Posted

I have been taking co codamol  for arthritis in my neck after other painkillers failed to work.however,I am suffering with stomach problems,nausea and tingling in my arms. Can anyone suggest how to combat this problem

• Posted

I have been getting these reactions to codein/morpheine for many years, and can't do much about them as I have to take my painkillers.

I also got hospitalized for suspected heart attack the first time: it's bloody scary!!!

I have found that eating some plain white bread helps- I don't know why, but it seems to!

I hope this helps you all xx

• Posted

Hi everyone, a good tip is to take tablets with yogurt as this lines your stomach and often prevents any bad reactions. 
  • Posted

Hi, I also had the same reaction after taking two cocodamal pills for back ache without enough resting. Later I started feeling severe upper abdominal cramps and sharp pains. I thought I had developed stomach ulcers. 4 hours later, I took another 2 cocodamal tablets and the pain in my upper abdomen and chest became more intense. Spoke to my GP who PRESCRIBED OMEPRAZAL. This didn't help. I called 111 but couldn't get enough help because they were sending me to A&E whose waiting time I cannot stand!!! I decided to take a glass of cold milk. The pain slowly declined.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.