Bad reaction to prednisolone

Posted , 11 users are following.

having been to my chiropractor for 4 weeks he felt my arm and neck pains were something else and sent me to my doctor for a blood test I saw a locum who took the blood there and then and got the result back same day rang me and diagnosed PMR my ESR was23? He gave me 15mg if prednisolone  I took it morning with breakfast. By the 3 day I was crawling the walls NO sleep my body was crawling and I felt.  like a zombie But the pain was gone however I couldn't take the pills my eyes felt like they were being pushed out of my head and I was shaking. I went back we stopped the pills and I am back to square 1 trying neproxen helps the pain but back to docs next week if not gone any ideas on reaction to prednisolone , what do I do next, I did have a Very bad reaction to tegretol  many years ago nearly killed me any links?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The consultant who I saw privately at the beginning told me that every 3 weeks was the equivalent of about 6 mg a day of Pred and now I am on 4 weekly (had one this afternoon at doctors and probably have gone longer) is equivalent just over 4 mg. from what I have been told, although GP won't do anything without consultant's say so and its a very long wait down here on NHS, I need to stay on 120 mg for 3 more months then try to stretch it to 2 monthly and then reduce the amount each time. I just find it magic as I don't have to take pills and the injection kicks in within 24 hours. When I first saw the consultant I couldn't get out of bed or dress myself. Had the injection at 5 pm and the next morning I was a lot better and by the evening back to normal. I now have no tiredness and sleep well. Walked the dog for 45 minutes this afternoon in the woods and walked around historical Rye with some visitors for 3 hours yesterday. I'm not sure why this isn't the treatment offered to everyone.

• Posted

I think because you have been very lucky - for most people it is used for it doesn't last as long. 6mg/day wouldn't be enough for very many people. 
    • Posted

Around January time. Yes I am probably lucky Eileen but have read research papers that favour Depo rather than Pred . Believe me I was like a 90 year old before the initial pills and then the jabs. I do think it is such a debilitating disease and nobody understands. However, I have survived being born with Marfan Syndrome, 2 perforated stomach ulcers, breaking my back  eventing my horse which is not possible now, and Zolinger Ellison Syndrome so believe me this is a very crap walk in the park but survivable. Not life threatening and as I have always done, tried to get on with it and live every day. I did have a huge wobbly before I married Miguel but I just thought I have survived before and this lovely man is there to help me over this hurdle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.