bad recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone!

I haven't posted in a long time partly because my story is so discouraging. I had surgery on January 24th and basically everything went wrong. my bones were too soft to hold the screws so he used pins. It was taking forever to heal. I got as far as weightbearing with a boot but when he took out the last pin, the toe got infected. Surgery 2 left me with an antibiotic spacer where my toe had never healed and some external fixators. It also landed me in what turned out to be a horrible rehab center. I was there a month until I had surgery resulting in even bigger bandages and fixators. I refused to go back to the original hospital so my social worker found a much nicer one. I was on the picc line  3 times a day for six weeks. I finally got home last Friday. I am basically starting over and cannot  fully express how tired and desolate I feel. I have no idea when, or if, I willl every be able to walk again. The bandage is so heavy that i can hardly lift my foot. Yesterday,, my whole leg started aching partiicularly my shins and calf muscles. Even my hip hurts sometimes. I've been staying off of it and had it propped up as much as I can. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and ask to see him sooner than the 2 weeks I am supposed to wait. I hope nothing else has gone wrong  U would welcome any advice, encouragement, prayers, healing, etc. My energy is about gone.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Arlene sounds horrendous what you've been through.  Although not as bad my experience has been far from good too.  I ha my op 30 January had multiple visits to out patients - wound not healing. Stress fracture etc etc.  I was given  loads of different advice about the orthopaedic   Eventually told after three months I should have had a cast on at six weeks as there is a fracture.  My foot still swells badly and my hammer toe which was straightened too feels like there is an elastic band tied round it.    I haven't seen a doctor since a week before my surgery always nurses.  The result now is that they have made an appointment to see the head consultant but not for another four weeks as he's so busy.   I feel I wo as better before the surgery and would advise that unless your foot is really unbearableness leave well alone.  

Jane

• Posted

Oh Jane! I am so sorry! Even with all my problems I have an excellent surgeon who is doing everything he can to get me well. it is not his fault if my body isn't cooperating. I am grateful for him and his care. I also have a great general practicioner who is following up with my care. In this way, Thanks for putting it in perspective. It sounds as if your care is being horribly mismanaged! I do hope things turn around for you sooner than later. Sending you healing!

• Posted

Dear Arlene. What a nightmare you have had. The aching of calf muscles shins and hips ( back as well) is normal as you are not weight bearing evenly. I hope the Doctors have now fixed you properly and you will continue to heal well. Just do everything you are advised to do in order to heal with no further problems. Fingers crossed for you. Best wishes. 
    • Posted

Hi Fiona,

My 'trials' are far from over. The fixators will come out as my foot heals. I have no idea what the time line will be. After reading Jane's reply, I am even more grateful for the excellent care I am receiving. I just have to take it as it comes and try not to be discouraged. Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear that your healing is going so poorly.  I have no advice other than to remind you that you are still blessed to be alive and that you have time to reflect, learn and grow in patience and love.  I don't know your faith, but my faith in Jesus Christ tells me that everything works to good.  It's barely 2 1/2 weeks post surgery for me and I am already frustrated sick of not being able to put any weight on the foot until I remind myself, this is a perfect time to get caught up on my reading, spend time with God, make calls to people I haven't talked to in forever and just rest.  I understand how hard it is to find joy in your circumstances but know that I am praying for you and thinking of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.