Bad side affects with iron

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I have been taking iron tablets for 4 weeks 3 a day and I actually think I feel worse than before I've had nausea chest tightness burping constantly sore throat dizziness. I went to my doctor yesterday who has advised to stop taking then for a few days to see if I improve. Has anyone else had bad side affects with iron tablets I'm on ferrous fumarate x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynsey: I am hoping that you are taking your iron with food even if it is recommended on an empty stomach. Most forms of iron will never be tolerated on an empty stomach. Taking it with food will eliminate your symptoms, it will slow down the absorption but the goal is to eventually increase your numbers and it is better that it be in your system by slow absorption than to not have it in your system at all. I would recommend Ferrous Polysaccaride it can be taken with food and the absorption rate is much better than other forms. There is 150mg in one tablet and most of that is elemental so you don't have to take pills all day long. The problem with the other forms of iron is that there is very little elemental iron in each tablet so therefore the dosing has to be much higher. I was taking other forms as well and truly the impovement was next to nil, I switched to ferrous polysaccaride and within a week I could feel the difference. I would say that going off your iron supplement is NOT the answer. Going off the one you are currently taking might be a good idea however, I think you just need to switch to a better product and DO NOT take it on an empty stomach regardless of what the instruction indicate. Takeyou iron with 1000 mg. of Vitamin C with food in your stomach and within one bottle of ferrous polysaccaride you will indeed be heading in the right direction. Chest tightness is not a symptom of the iron supplement. It is a symptom of low iron levels due to possible low oxygen levels. Your red blood cells are oxygen carriers and when iron levels are low it can directly affect your O2 levels. The dizziness is due to your low numbers and has nothing to do with the supplement. Not sure if you have had your B12 levels checked but you might want to start supplementing with a B12 as well. You can purchase a sublingual which will rapidly dissolve under the tongue. B12 is water soluble so there is no fear that you will take too much. Your body will use what it wants and the rest will be gone in your urine. My advice is to get back on a GOOD iron supplement taken WITH food.  You will never feel better if you don't. It will not correct itself. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your reply I have been taking them with food and orange juice ano although my blood tests showed they were bringing it up I was still feeling terrible bad nausea and bringing up a lot of wind. The doc thought maybe 3 a day was to much for me to handle so suggested stopping them to see if I felt better then start taking just one a day. I have my blood test for b12 tomorrow so will c how that comes back. It's been 4 weeks now I have been taking iron and I am still so lightheaded is this normal thanks
  • Posted

Yes, it is normal. Depending on how low you hemoglobin and ferritin are will determine how badly you feel. Everyone is different. In earlier years my ferritin was only 8 and I really didn't feel that badly. However, this time my ferritin was 40 and I felt terrible. So, for some reason the symptoms were worse with a higher level than when it was low. In your situation, it may be possible that your B12 is also very low as these things do go hand in hand. One of the worst symptoms of low B12 is a constant feeling of lightheadedness. With low iron levels the lightenedness is not alway constant. As I said supplementing with B12 is worry free and you might want to get a sublingual and start taking it even before you know your numbers. Also, don't be satisifed with low numbers. You will want to get you B12 to a nice high number. So ask your doctor for the range and ask where you are in that range. Doctors tend to be happy with low numbers but low numbers don't always reduce symptoms. If you are also on thyroid medication you might want to see an endocrinologist as that is there expertise. Balancing thyroid hormone is often no easy task. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for all the info helps me a lot. I have an underactive thyroid and I am on medication for it this has been checked and seems okay. I'm hoping after blood tests tomorrow I can see how much my levels have came up and if my b12 is low. Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.