Bad stomach after period

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone gets this , as I'm thinking all sorts . A few days after my period has finished I seem to get a form of ibs , I think . I get cramps , needing to go to the loo and nausea . I am 52 and still having regular heavy periods . I have recently had more blood tests and am anaemic . Its these stomach symptoms that I am unsure about straight after my period . Anyone else ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I have a bad stomach off and on a lot - definitely worse these last few years with peri. I haven't really tracked it with my cycle to know if it relates to a certain time during the cycle, but I am frequently dealing with stomach issues. For me it is stomach pain, not so much intestinal (gut) issues. I do get the nausea which makes me not want to eat. Are you taking iron for your anemia? Sometimes that can cause (or make worse) stomach stuff.

• Posted

Hi Jane.. My stomach issues are before and after my period.. ( nausea, diarrhea, constipation, and going multiple times throughout the day. I REALLY think perimenopause is responsible..

Good luck to you 😊

• Posted

Hi Jane... Yes I have had dad stomach problems.. This has been the most awful symptom I've had. Awful neasea.. Wind like ibs... Bowels all over the place so I understand. But hang tight... It does pass with time. Mine has settled with time so hang tight and bear with it. I cut out milk and take alpro plant base drink instead.. Not soya... Also get a good probiotic into you..

Hope this helps. CK

• Posted

thank you Carol . Yes I'm hoping that this is all another symptom that will go away at some point . I now have a cyst on my back that is infected , so I'm on antibiotics and worrying that these will give me problems .

• Posted

I've had this happen as well. Sometimes I get it a bit before my period, too, but it usually comes after. For me, it comes and goes. It was really bad a few months ago, but I got lucky after my last period and felt normal (or as normal as possible during peri!). My NP suggested probiotics, but I didn't notice any difference with those. It may be worth a try though as others have had success with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.