Bad taste in mouth for about 4 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

About four weeks ago I started having this bad taste in my mouth that would show up hours after me brushing my teeth and tongue in the morning. The bad taste usually manifests itself in the evening. It’s a kind of bitter taste and everything tastes bad, especially water. My saliva also feels thick or hard to swallow, although this only occurs sometimes. Yesterday I was having this bad taste in my mouth before bed so I decided to brush my tongue and the bad taste went away. I’ve been brushing my tongue the same way for years and it’s only now I’ve started having this problem so I don’t think it’s a case of me not brushing my tongue properly and I assume it’s something else? Also, when I brush my tongue, the back of it still has white stuff there and a little near the front of my tongue on the sides but not as much as the back. Could it be Oral thrush?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It is possible but unlikely. The white stuff from thrush is typically in patches and will appear slightly elevated. Also people who get thrush are usually taking steroids of some sort. For example a steroid inhaler or taking prednisone. A more likely thing could be what you are eating, or maybe tonsil stones. There is also several tongue conditions that cause white to appear on the tongue. One example would be geographic tongue. If you google "tongue conditions" you will find all kinds of info. Of course you really need to see either your doctor or dentist. Although based on my own experience I would go see a doctor unless you can get into a dentist that specializes in mouth diseases.

• Posted

Hi david, I have excatly the same thing For about two years now and the doctors dont pay any attention at all, they tell me Im paranoid and that my tongue looks normal. I've had 3 hiv test in the last 2 years and all were negative. That was the thing that had me worried. Lately I've been feeling thirsty and having a dry mouth. Im going to keep looking for a doctor that know what I have. If you find what the problem is pls let me know, I will do the same. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.