Bad Trazodone side effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been taking trazodone as a sleep aid since the end of September, it's horrible. I sleep for a few hours but then I'm up for the rest of the night. I've been short of breath, felt heart palpitations and I've noticed that I'm more anxious once I take it. I'm seeing my doctor soon so I will try something else. Trazodone is not for insomnia it's an anti-depressant!!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had awful effects from Trazadone. Full fledged hallucinations. Horrible it was.

• Posted

True..and Trazadone helped me get to sleep for about 3 days and I loved it...but then it stopped.

Move on to the next drug...lol

Its horrible I know.

They moved me on to Seroquel...it is supposed to work for everyone.

It did not work for me.

Now today..I was prescribed Olanzapine.

Time will tell.

Its horrible not being able to sleep and WORSE they won't prescribe the heavy duty meds...cause they are afraid.

• Posted

Yes it's antidepressant, but has a sedative effect too. I stopped taking it for sleep problems for the same reasons as you. It also made me sweat excessively at night. It never helped me with sleep after the first month, even by increasing the dose..

• Posted

The side effects your experiencing should wear off in a week or two. You need to take Trazodone then lie straight down and relax. If you don't it can have the opposite effect. See how you feel at your next doctors visit if the side effects have subsided he will probably increase your dose. Although Trazodone is an anti depressants it is also prescribed for insomnia . Lots of anti depressants are prescribed for other problems other than just depression.

• Posted

Hi, I was and thankfully "WAS" on trazadone I took an overdose with wine (don't drink) !I took these as the doc prescribed as well as sertraline ....never again ,they made me drowsy ,zombiiefied (not a real word)!!!! However I don't think they helped!I took myself slowly of them.I didn't tell doc but thankfully it was okay and got back to gym this was two weeks ago so see how it goes. But good luck they mb ok

• Posted

Not true. Its for both i have been taking trazadone i dnt even know how long but i also take seriquil with it. I dnt know ur millies, but i take 100mg of trazadone & 300mg of seriquil. I sleep like a baby. Some days if i deside i wanna stay up a bit later i can sleep for 2 long. Or i get thirsty alot i think its my new sezuire med. Never been thirsty like this before. So i do get up some water by my bed a possible pee along with a quick cigg and bck off to bed. I also have the tv off and a dark room so i pass out. No distractions just a small light in my bathroom so i dnt trip over 1 of my pups or fall. Let ur dr know its not working properly or that ur not liking it ambient is a great sleeping pill. Please make sure u are weaned off the trazadone first or it can cause issues in the long run..

???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.