Bad upper stomach burning for weeks - ulcer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all,

Could this be an ulcer?

The last 2 weeks I can't stop running to the bathroom (multiple times a day) and my upper abdomen (from below the sternum to the belly button) burns so bad I'm afraid to eat. I also have bloating, gas, and belching.

Eating something either helps ease it (sometimes) or it hurts it. Mostly it makes me run to the bathroom. I also honestly don't even have much of an appetite from all of this and I feel tired.

I take a daily PPI but it doesn't seem to be helping. I even tried taking 2 a day and that seems to have made it worse.

I've always had problems with acid reflux. I still get the acid in the throat and the feeling as if there's something stuck in it. Burning in stomach and etc.. but never to this degree.

Any advice from anyone please? I'm not sure how concerned I should be at the moment. I see my doc Monday and I was gonna ask her for a referral to the stomach doc.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My doctor put me omperazole for indigestion. After that i started to feel sick. Lightheaded, fatigued, dull headaches that lasted for days. Lost my appetite for a few weeks on/off. Chest pain (sore chest) and muscle aches. I recently have stopped taking omperazole since being on it for 6 weeks. My symptoms have improved greatly. I will get a dull burning pain in my gut if i eat something to greasy. It could be coincidence i started feeling better after i stopped the ppi or it could have been the root of the problem, not sure.
    • Posted

Sounds like that PPI didn't agree with you!! I'm glad you feel better since you quit taking it.

• Posted

How did your appointment go? Did you get a referral?

I have the same symptoms and also take sometimes 2 PPI's per day but they don't do much good. The lump sensation in my throat is horrible. It makes me very nauseous. I have no appetite and Im afraid to eat anyway because I know I will feel nauseous afterward. Ive lost about 20 lbs .

I had emergency surgery 2 years ago for a perforated ulcer and now this is what I have to put up with. Im scheduled for another endoscopy but Im so sick and tired of feeling sick every day. It sounds like you could have an ulcer. I imagine you might know by now. With me, im not sure if the acid reflux caused the ulcer in the first place or whether the ulcer just made the reflux so much worse. ive been to ER several times with the nausea asking for a Gravol IV but thats about all they can do. they just tell me arrange for an endoscopy. I just cant see having to live like this afraid to eat and always anxious about the nausea coming on.

• Posted

I have an appointment on the 10th of Nov, actually, thanks for asking!

Yeah I can't tell between if it's acid reflux or ulcer or both. I know they can't really do anything for an ulcer but don't want it to bleed.

And I agree with you! It's hard to live like this wondering what will hurt your stomach or being afraid to eat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.