Baffling cholesterol results

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I'm a 43 year-old man not on medication or cigarettes and I've managed to reduce cholesterol in a year according to the following data. I include the recommendations for the optimal limit I've heard as medical advice.

Dec 2018/ Dec 2019

Total cholesterol (over 190 is best averted)218/181.7

HDL (under 40 is best averted)46.50/49.6

Triglyceride (over 150 is best averted)206.20/77.9

LDL (over 115 is best averted)130.26/116.52

Cholesterol non-HDL171.50/132.10

The question is, why on earth has my body so radically lowered Triglycerides at a completely disproportionate rate (over 50%) to the LDL (under 15%)? How can be my total cholesterol level be fine while my LDL is still just a scratch higher than the recommendation?

Should I assume for now that I should be keeping up the good work rather than reaching for the statins?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

In a word - in answer to your question in the last line above - YES! yes, yes and more yes. Do NOT take statins. Reducing your triglycerides was the single most important result. Ignore the LDL. Your HDL is in a very healthy range, that will in itself deal with the LDL. Your December 2019 results are impressive and you deserve a big pat on the back for making such healthy changes. Please do not be persuaded to take statins, your figures do not justify the seriously bad health damage they will result in. Just keep doing whatever it is youre doing, its working.

• Posted

@loxie @jen

Well that's really lovely to get such encouragement from a total stranger - especially on Christmas Day - thank you!

I've taken on board the message not to bother with statins!

Do you have any hunch at all about what's keeping the LDL a bit stubborn, at the same time when the triglycerides have been so agreeable?

My only clues are in an article which seems to suggest that there are two types of LDL , A and B. (So why the blood test doesn't tell us that I don't know), the first actually reduces cardio risk. As I understand it, consuming 'good fats' can boost LDL-A, not just HDL.

It's certainly true that apart from getting to the gym a lot more this year I have cut dairy and almost entirely replaced my read meat with (unsalted) peanuts and walnuts, often as a snack with fruit. I also eat more sardines than I used to.

But if it were mainly about the increase in 'good fats' then it doesn't explain to me why the HDL hasn't jumped more than it has.

There's another article about LDL here https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/making-sense-of-cholesterol-tests which has a formula that I'd never heard of, ad is quite interesting:

"Your LDL is computed by plugging the measurements for total cholesterol, HDL, and triglycerides into a: LDL = Total cholesterol – HDL – (Triglycerides ÷ 5). LDL can also be measured directly in a non-fasting blood sample."

So looking at that, it seems to mean that when our Triglycerides go down, it actually increases our LDL ?!!!!! What's that all about?!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Rubble77777777,

Sadly, doctors funded by pharmaceutical companies have created this huge industry around cholesterol, brainwashed everyone into panicking about it when it is perfectly okay.

75% of cholesterol is made by the liver, only 25% is derived from food. Doctors have now been given new guidelines concerning cholesterol, they are not supposed to prescribe statins as a first option but, instead they are supposed to tell people to exercise and diet. This change is due to the fact they now know cholesterol is not as bad as they have been saying but, more importantly the danger of statins which are known to cause muscle problems and dementia.

There is nothing wrong with your cholesterol, do not panic about it.

• Posted

I think you are making good progress. But, you don't want to lose sleep over this or have anxiety over it. Some medications can cause cholesterol to rise. So look for side effects of any medications you may take. Cholesterol is needed by the body for normal functions. The brain needs cholesterol. Hormones are made from cholesterol..So, too low of levels could cause other issues. You could add a supplement that can balance cholesterol. Stanols and sterols are proven to do this. They are natural. You can also add more dark green vegetables to your daily routine. A key to preventing heart disease is to keep your arteries flexible. I noticed that you did not include your blood pressure. It can help diagnose artery issues. Vitamin C and natural E can help to promote healthy arteries. If the arteries are flexible, they will expand freely when the heart beats. There will be fewer tears for the body to repair. When arteries are not flexible, blood pressure goes up and tears in artery walls occur. The body then repairs these tears with cholesterol. If the body has only bad cholesterol LDL then the patches are clumpy and build up risistance to blood flow. If good cholesterol HDL is available, then the repairs will be smooth with minimal resistance.

So, my mail advice is to improve your diet. Avoid cake, candy, donuts, greasy pizza,sugar and any foods that have processed hydrogenated oils. Also, statins are known to cause high blood sugar, and that is a real danger. Keep up the good work. John

• Posted

Thanks Jonathan. In a nutshell, are you saying the reason why the LDL is declining at a very much lower rate than the Triglyceride is probably dietary?

• Posted

Yes, likely in time, if you can keep this up, the numbers will begin to balance out. But, even if they are not what you hope for, You are better off if you eat healthier than those who don't.

• Posted

I think you're really on to something because despite hugely increasing exercise and reducing red meat and dairy (which might explain radical triglyceride success), I do still 'sin' in other areas (which might explain the slow progress on LDL):

Apart from an occasional week of abstinence I eat two slices of cake or two donuts on a daily basis which of course contain dairy as well as sugar. I'll also maybe twice or three times per week have vegetarian (usually spinach) pizza, which has the white flour and of course cheese.

Am curious, what biological/chemical effect do you think boosting dark green vegetables would have on the body? Is that going to effect what the liver is doing in some way?

• Posted

Adding more dark green vegetables will always be beneficial. My sister believes in juicing vegetables and then drinking it every few hours all day. She managed to help her new husband who was insulin dependent to get to more normal glucose levels and completely off insulin.

With that said, I would recommend that you get a glucose meter and test your blood after one of those pieces of cake after two hours. If your glucose goes above 160 mg/dL then you should be concerned, because that means you are damaging your body.

Blood glucose and cholesterol numbers are intertwined because the liver also helps to process glucose. That is why some medications that lower cholesterol can raise glucose levels.

So, if you really want to make some better progress then cut down on the cheat days, and add more fresh vegetables, juice or superfood powder. John

• Posted

Thanks John. I take your point. My glucose readings are within the healthy norm which is why I haven't posted them here, but I understand that they'll fluctuate and be very different right after sugar consumption. And of course all that butter and eggs that goes into cake undermines the reduction in red meat and cheese.

You said that with commitment the figures should 'balance out' a couple of times. Does this mean there is a normal lag between triglyceride reduction and LDL reduction? Is there a causal link between the two, like the triglyceride makes LDL but with a delay, and so reduction in the former will take some time for it to read as a reduction in the latter?

• Posted

I have not researched the relationship of the three different cholesterol readings, but I know that tests are not always accurate. And your liver health could improve and tweek the numbers back where they should be.

Just do your best, you are ahead of the game because you are aware and concerned.

• Posted

**well done to you my doctor put me on statin cause my bad level was 4.5 and.my good is 2.5 but since taking them I have leg muscle pain so I did try for 6 week's but I took myself of them now to see how I feel without them **

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.