Baker’s cyst

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a TKR 6 weeks ago and now have a baker's cyst behind my knee. My surgeon doesn't want to do anything invasive as the risk of infection is too high. It causes a great deal of pain when doing my exercises, especially when trying to bend it.

Has anyone else suffered from this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

OH NO, thats terrible you poor thing. Ive had Bakers Cyst's prior to TKR and they are so painful.

Unfortunately we are at risk of infection for up to 2 years after the replacement.

I would be visiting other orthopaedic surgeons and getting more opinions as to how to treat it.

Pain killers must be your friend at the moment

• Posted

Yes two times it went away with out treatment but was extremely painful when it burst. The third time I had treatment that was very simple and no pain at all.

The sad thing is to have it lanced is so simple and relatively painless but unfortunately it is the risk factor of infection.

I know some surgeons wont allow their patients to do hydrotherapy due to the risk of infection, however mine allowed it and the PT's always ensured the dressing was completely waterproof before entering the pool and I felt the risk of infection would be so low and the benefits so great.

I would highly recommend Hydrotherapy for you especially while you have the bakers cyst

• Posted

I bilateral and 1 revision TKR and now have bakercyst behind each knee. My surgeon said dont worry about it but my right knee fills up and gets really big and bothersome . I don't know why they said to ignore it ! if anyone has any ideas I love to hear them ! it's been 4 years after TKR on the left knee and a new baker's cyst on the right I developed after the revision 8 months ago.

• Posted

Corrie I would be interested in hearing about your revision. I am waiting for revision surgery on my left knee that was done last November. I understand both the surgery and recuperation are a lot longer.

• Posted

yes it wasnt easy at first nobody believed me that there was something was wrong after a year of suffering they finally did something and they put a whole new knee in

• Posted

Ive never had a bakers cyst, but I am curious as to why you had to have a revision?!

pm me, if you want to.

• Posted

the cement became loose and made it very painful to put weight on my knee aseptic loosening they called it but no infection

• Posted

so, how did they come to that conclusion. Physically felt it, x-ray, MRI ??

• Posted

a bonescan but that was still somewhat inconclusive but during the surgery the old replacement popped right out and I had a lot of synovitis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.