Bakers cyst

Posted , 3 users are following.

15 weeks today since I was diagnosed with ruptured bakers cyst ..my knee is still swollen and sore ..can anyone tell me please how long this goes on for ..at my wits end now ..thank you in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My info says a month after a rupture. Do knee stretching strengthening exercises as this will displace the pressure off of the area. Ice, Nsaids are further rx.

Ice info:

With an injury, swelling accumulates in the affected area which causes two problems. Firstly, there are chemicals in the fluid that aggravate and irritate the nerves fibres causing pain. Secondly, the pressure from the swelling (there is limited space in each joint) causes pain and limits the amount of movement that the joint can perform e.g. how much you can bend and straighten the knee.

Ice treatment can help in two ways. Firstly, the cold from the ice has an analgesic effect which reduces pain. Secondly, it helps to reduce the amount of bleeding into the joint and soft tissues thus reducing swelling and any associated muscle spasms.

How to Use Ice Effectively

Ice treatment works most effectively when used immediately after an injury or surgery (in the first 3-4 days), but can also help reduce pain and inflammation in longer term knee problems. The simplest thing to do is to wrap some ice in a damp cloth e.g. tea towel. Place a dry cloth on the affected area and then apply the ice for 10-15 minutes.

Do not leave it on any longer as it can cause an ice burn. It can also slow blood flow so much that the good nutrients needed for healing can’t get in and the bad chemicals produced from the injury can’t get taken away. Also, if the body gets too cold it responds by causing the blood vessels to dilate (open more) allowing more blood to rush into the area which actually increases swelling. This is known as the Hunting effect.

• Posted

I had a Baker's cyst from July 2016, it ruptured according to GP about the end of the year and cuased pain until I had the knee replaced in March, since then appears to have gone but the surgeon said it could come back.

?Sorry this is not info that would cheer you up but I think each case is very different and my knee was in bad shape. Hope yours will soon resolve.

• Posted

Thank you Cynthia for reply , I just find it hard to believe that this swelling and discomfort still here 15 months on ..while the swelling in the calf and and ankle has reduced the knee is still swollen and lumpy ..I guess I thought it would be resolved by now .thank you again .
    • Posted

Sorry 15 weeks not months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.