Bakers cyst after total right knee replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a full right knee replacement in February because of severe OA. I recovered well from the operation and the physio was pleased with my progress; however, several weeks ago i developed a large Baker's cyst behind the operated knee which makes bending the knee beyond a certain point very painful. This is particularly bad going upstairs ( and it wakes me at night) and I now have to hold onto the banister rail which is a backward step. Has anyone any experience or coping strategies to offer? The amount of fluid does not seem to have gone down despite several weeks of discomfort. Otherwise, I think my knee replacement was a success, but the pain from the cyst is really getting me down ...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

my friend had the same thing happen after her TKR. Her doctor drained it and since she has had no further problems.

• Posted

Jean

thank you for your reply. Unfortunately because of the coronavirus all out patients clinics are closed and it isn't classified as an emergency. However, it is very helpful to know that there is a possible solution when i can get to see the surgeon. Thank you again, Margaret

• Posted

had one in after my total knee replacement, it went away after about eight months, really just kept doing exercises along with applying ice, these are tough times to recoup, had another knee replacement, recently so know its difficult to not beable to seek answers, hang in there recovery is slow.

• Posted

Fraser

thank you. I am now 4 months past right knee replacement and i am not yet winning with the fluid cyst behind the knee ( appeared weeks after the op) . I have no regrets over the knee op but it is the pain and discomfort caused by the cyst that is getting me down. The worst discomfort is the degree of bend needed to go upstairs which i can't do now without holding onto the banister rail, but that i could do before it appeared!! . I hope it will go away by itself and it is reassuring to hear from you that it might. Thank you for getting back to me.

• Edited

it took me more like eight to ten months to get the bend for the stairs and then was still not that comforable, but it is now 18 months and i can go down easlily going up is still harder even without cyst, legs still swell at times depending on weather, it is along on going progress. I sometimes forget when I am frustrated how much it hurt before the operation. After going for the ultra sound for the cyst my surgeon told me the cyst would go go away on its own once my leg got better and it did hope the same happens for you, you are very early in the healing process. can only say what worked for me , do the exercises, ice, rest, raise leg. Goodluck.

• Posted

Fraser

thank you for your replies. i too sometimes forget how bad my knee was before the TKR and get down because of the discomfort and pain caused by the cyst, but i am now reassured and optimistic that time will disperse it. Thank you again. Margaret

• Edited

I had one after a partial knee replacement, it had been there before surgery and was still there after. It did gradually go away and I can't remember how long it took but quite a few months. I didn't have any intervention from the surgeon. When I pointed it out they said it wasn't a problem.

• Posted

Ruthie

thank you. I take heart that it will go away with time, but it is still a nuisance and causes extreme pain on some movements.

thank you again for posting, Margaret

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.