Baking Powder

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've had really bad nausea and read about drinking baking soda but accidently drunk baking powder..will I be ok. Starting to panic that something really bad will happen?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Never heard of baking powder for nausea, how much did you have? Nor more than a half teaspoon or so I hope. I would suggest you drink plenty of water.

These are things I have tried to help me with nausea: Sleep take a nap, rest when dizzy, relaxation like taking a bath, acupressure on the wrist and fresh ginger tea then chewing the grated bits at the bottom of the cup. And then when nothing works anymore I have no choice but to take over the counter drugs to prevent vomiting. And of course the most important thing is to try and find the cause which eludes me as yet.

• Posted

Doubt if it makes much difference.

Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate. When baking soda is combined with moisture and an acidic ingredient (e.g., yogurt, chocolate, buttermilk, honey), the resulting chemical reaction produces bubbles of carbon dioxide that expand under oven temperatures, causing baked goods to rise. The reaction begins immediately upon mixing the ingredients, so you need to bake recipes which call for baking soda immediately, or else they will fall flat!

Baking powder contains sodium bicarbonate, but it includes the acidifying agent already (cream of tartar), and also a drying agent (usually starch). Baking powder is available as single-acting baking powder and as double-acting baking powder. Single-acting powders are activated by moisture, so you must bake recipes which include this product immediately after mixing. Double-acting powders react in two phases and can stand for a while before baking. With double-acting powder, some gas is released at room temperature when the powder is added to dough, but the majority of the gas is released after the temperature of the dough increases in the oven.

• Posted

I had a tablespoon of baking powder and half a cup of water.
  • Posted

Hey Shannon.  I am sorry but you gave me a good giggle which I needed!  Baking Soda!  My mom drinks a table spoon in a half glass of water.  But I take Licorice Root, Ascidolpholis (sp?) and aloe vera.  Turned my gut around.  Try natural before prescription meds pls. Oh, yes Ginger especially for just nausea.  Thanks for reminding me. 
  • Posted

Hi Shannon,

I sometimes use bicarbonate of soda for heartburn and indigestion and nausea half  teaspoon mixed with milk or water it usually does the trick if I haven't got any rennies or gavisgon settlers etc.  If you took a teaspoon of baking powder you will be ok.  Be sure to know the difference between baking soda and baking powder next time. Hope you will be ok soon.

• Posted

Baking soda is Sodium Hydrogen Cardonate: andrews liver salts is basically a mixture of baking soda, citric acid and a simple sugar (glucose) when you add water to the dry ingredie it goes all fizzy, time to drink and settle your stomach.

Drink to much and you my have to stay close to the toilet, get my drift?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.