Balance problems/dizziness--health anxiety or serious condition?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

I am an 18-year old male, with no health problems on record but always have been a bit of a hypochondriac (on and off, and mild when it happens) During a particularly stressful time in my life (death of loved one, college admissions, graduation) I suddenly out of the blue had a migraine aura (scintillating scotoma) during the morning. Not many symptoms (or I didn't notice them) before that migraine. Went home, slept, felt better. 

Next few days I began to have vertigo issues (felt like sense of gravity/balance was moving/swaying but no nausea) and one day, what felt like an anxiety attack (dizziness, numbness). Went home again (due to health panic thinking I was having stroke-like symptoms), slept, felt better again. That specific attack hasn't recurred. Fatigue also came on and has stuck around, although I'm not sure if that may be allergy-related as I have fatigue around springtime each year.

Currently I'm still having on-and-off balance problems and dizziness for about a month and a half now. The symptoms are not getting progressively worse, and seem to lessen or even disappear when at home, with friends, or doing relaxing physical activity, but become more severe when indoors (lack of natural light, constant stimuli and requests of me due to high courseload and such). As a hypochondriac I, of course, suspect something serious, yet the symptoms never really matched any specific condition that I was aware of. No movement problems, no vision problems, no sensory problems aside from the balance/fatigue and one instance of ringing in ear for a few minutes early on.

Is this likely to be anxiety-based? Or should I be truly concerned regarding a specific ailment that can be an issue if not treated?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Id say go to the doctor/gp because it really might be allergy related sinus issues. Let the gp take a look. The rest of it you should find a cbt therapist just so you can learn and be armed with tools to deal with the anxiety.
  • Posted

The dizziness and off balance could be an ear issue. Like fluid build up. I say this bc every year during weather change I get that way-some days worse than others with the vertigo. See ur gp to confirm what the issues may be. Over worrying can cause anxiety and panic attacks which creates a whole page full of different symptoms....I've been a sufferer all my life...and it's only getting worse 😢....hope u figure it out!

Sandi

• Posted

a16511

First thing is to go to the Drs. They are the only ones that can rule out anything worse. However, from what you have said - it could well be Anxiety. Let me explain - when you get an attack people's blood pressure does change - some drop and others increase during the period. It could be this thats causing the issues. Also have you checked for your blood glucose? Low / high blood glucose can also cause some of these affects.

However - to avoid the rabbit hole - firstly get to the Doctor and I am sure he will be checking for the above anyway. Then you can work on how to fix the anxiety.

• Posted

I'm. Not sure what caused mine but I had spinning sensation that progressed into a very bad dizziness period basically I felt I was walking on a bouncy castle which lead me to sitting down all day everyday scared to move I did have nausea with mine but wasn't physically sick I went to doctors who couldn't work it out I had bloods done and told I'm anemic ?

I'm still dizzy not to that extent though funny enough my anxiety got worse around the time my dizziness started I had a baby too so I have been under great amounts of stress I'm awaiting cbt and also a ct scan x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.