balance problems when stand up

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had off balance espicially when stand up feel like something bush me foreward or backward my doctor said it,s may be but not sure due to neuropathic condition which calld ( charcot -marie- tooth desease) but not confirmed because there is no genetic test in my country he built his diagnosis when he find some signs in my feet 1-high arch 2- hammer toes 3- weak toes movements esp big toes it,s not move 4-disable to stand on toes or heels but he said we must have DNA and genetic test to confirm diag but my medical history may doubt this diag 1: I had panic attack disorder for 27 years ( I,m 52 years old) and I had been taking a huge of meds like Antidepressions     Tranquiles.

2- I had vestibular vertigo and dizziness since 10 years

3- I had my right ankle spraind tow times and Torn ligament which caused weakness and atrophy to my leg .

so i,m and my doc puzzled and not sure to reach to the right diag please help .

thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, frustrating, isn't it, when even the doctors are not sure. I know that imbalance feelings can be caused by many things... even some medications like anitdepressants. Ask your doctor if this might be the case. They work by affecting chemicals in your brain, and sometimes these meds (or stopping the meds) can cause an feeling of off-balance. Particularly the SSRIs.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi,

The dizziness/ vertigo and the ankle problems may or may not be related. It looks like you have vertigo (balance problems when standing up are typical) and it started during childhood. Did anything happened then, that caused the vertigo, could be infection, trauma to head, or surgery... The vertigo by itself can cause anxiety or even panic attacks, so Antidepressants may help, but may not cure the vertigo. Did you see a doctor, did you get any tests done, to identify the cause of the vertigo? 

• Posted

Hi suzanbel1238 no I didn.t have infection or head trauma or surgery but h had anxiety and panic attack since i am 22 years old and H didn,t have vertigo or  balance problems till I am 44 but i had nausea permantly and H had taken all kid of anti depression and SSRI for 15 years not sure if my balance issue is from neuropathic or anxiety or ankle
    • Posted

I'd ask your doctor if the SSRIs could have anything to do with your imbalance. Good luck.
  • Posted

my off balance make me very embarassed and sad espicially if this condition is Charcot-Marie-tooth disease because there is (no cure)
    • Posted

where could I get info about vestibular retraining ? what about my weak ankle

thanks

• Posted

Ideally, from a balance center. But if you don't have access to one in your area, ask your general practitioner or an ear doctor. You can look them up online too... but specific ones need to be "prescribed" for your particular situation/diagnosis. Google "vestibular balance rehabilitation" - basically they are head movements that challenge your balance that eventually conditions your brain to get your balance back.

Examples would be walking slowly while turning your head from left-right and up-down, focusing on an object in the distance and moving your head, standing next to a wall and kicking your leg up and back down, and standing in a corner with your eyes closed (eventually on one foot only).

But check with a doctor first, as these may not be safe if you are severely dizzy. It's a long process though. Months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.