Balance test update and questions

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey all, I thought I'd give an update on my situation. Thanks to all who let me know about your balance tests.

The NHS have scheduled my appointment for the 22nd of May sad It feels like far too long to wait when I can't live life. Finding it hard to keep my head above water.

Could you let me know what happened after you had the balance tests? What were your next steps? 

Were you told to do any exercises I might be able to try whilst still waiting? 

Thank you all,

Christina

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi you could try looking on line for vestibular rehabilitation which gives you some exercises to do

hope this helps

• Posted

Hello Christina, 

Good morning, the next process following my balance testing was Balance and Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy.

When the doctor seen the results of my test, (all results were abnormal) he then understood why I was struggling to walk. There are some balance exercises you can try if you like 

Stand with a chair in front of you and a wall behind you. If you begin to fall, you may use them for support.

Put your feet together and your arms to your side.

Hold this position for 30 seconds.

Do this exercise twice a day. Try to progress to doing it with your eyes closed.

I hope this helps 

Bertman 

• Posted

Hey Bertman,

When you say that you were having difficulty walking, were you dizzy/woozy all the time or just off-balance?

I'll give those exercises a try.

Thank you!

Christina

• Posted

Hello Christina, The answer to your question is yes, vertigo, extreme dizziness and no balance control.

I needed a walker to ambulate because I would lean to the left or right. Then in the later stage of meniere's I would fall back away from my walker, It took a wheelchair for me to travel safely. 

Everything has went in progression, the balance got worse, the dizziness became chronic, the nausea became chronic as well, I lost a bunch of weight from not being able to eat much, food did not look, smell, or taste good. I was on nutrition shakes for quite awhile  

ø¤º°`°º¤ø-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.Bertman •:*'''''*:•-:¦:-ø¤º°`°º¤ø

• Posted

Hi Christina,

I personally wasn't given any exercises to complete afterwards but my grandmother who also has Menieres did. It involved sitting on a chair and looking at a busy pattern and moving her head l. She used a roll of jazzy wrapping paper.. I on the other hand was given lots of lifestyle advice, cutting caffeine, reducing salt intake, keeping stress at bay.. which does all seem to help. My nan is entering the third stage of meneires so her follow up is more concentrated on helping her to improve her balance where as I think I'm more in the second stage. They did advise that as the effects are not constant that other than lifestyle changes it's difficult. Having said that I started a yoga and Pilates class which is great and does help with the bad balance and I've been prescribed Betahistine which helps with the vertigo. Are you taking any medications?

Wish you all the best and hope your appointment comes around quickly for you!

• Posted

Thank you, Rell smile

I anticipate that I'll be given exercises as I'm dizzy all of the time right now.  I'm glad that the lifestyle changes helped.

Yes, I'm currently taking Betahistine 16x3, it's prevented attacks since I've been taking it which has been such a blessing.

Thank you smile

Christina

• Posted

Christina,

I'm just chiming in to wish you luck and good fortune. May will be here before you know it! All these appointments and doctors and treatments seem to move so slowly...because we are struggling daily. Hang tough...maybe try the exercises some have suggested! You can do this. One day at a time!

I will be having balance testing in the Spring too but next up is an MRI. We will keep at it, right?

Hugs,

Mary

• Posted

Aw thank you for the support, Mary. smile I will try the exercises, and I wish you all the best with the MRI, make sure you know a couple of songs to sing in your head whilst the scan is going on! When I had mine, the music they provided was so quiet that I couldn't hear it!

All the best, and keep the forum updated smile

Christina

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.