Balance testing?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’m gonna need balance testing at some point, and I’m quite anxious. Has it made anybody ill? What can I expect? What tests are they likely to run? Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I recently just did a whole bunch of balance testing! I did not get ill during the testing.  One part of the VNG (where they shoot hot and cold air into your ears) got me temporarily dizzy - which they said happens to a lot of people - not just MD.

With that in mind - I DID get an attack the next morning (aka the day after my balance testing) so be careful of that.  Right now I am having attacks every 1-2 weeks to put it in perspective.

• Posted

Oh, as for tests - 

1) They put sensors around your eyes and neck and put loud clicking noises in your ear.

2) They put eye-tracking goggles on and have you follow dots and other images that move. The most disorienting is a moving checkerboard.  They will also shoot hot and cold air into your ear and see how you react.  This did cause me to be uneasy for a bit but it went away fairly quickly and was not really vertigo.

3) They put another eye-tracking on and then try to quickly jolt your head in different directions.  That one can cause dizziness if you have crystals out (which I did not).

• Posted

Hello Christina, Balancing testing is not bad at all, You wear googles so the examiner can clearly see your eyes 

, you will also follow dots and lines with your eyes, You will try to balance on a floor model machine that resembles a tread mill , the machine has handles to hold onto, but they will ask you try an balance without using the handles. They will administer cool and warm air to your ears to measure the response by the vestibular nerve the test formally called an ENG 

An electronystagmogram (ENG) measures normal eye movement and involuntary rapid eye movements called nystagmus. It also checks the muscles that control eye movements. ENG checks how well the eyes, inner ears , and brain help you keep your balance and position (such as when you change from lying down to standing).

I will tell you that different clinics do things differently, some use warm and cool water instead of air in your ear, I have had both, not too crazy about the water in the ear, but its tolerable I hope this helps. Check to make sure this procedure is covered by your insurance if you are scheduled to have it done. Out of pocket is about 3 grand 

ø¤º°`°º¤ø-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.Bertman •:*'''''*:•-:¦:-ø¤º°`°º¤ø

• Posted

Hello Christina,

I've also had the testings done and it is how the others have explained. I think everyone will react differently as it depends on how much your body can handle. I was very week when my tests were done as I wasn't able to eat and was on mostly Gatorade mixed with half water. I was very dizzy after the tests, but was told by the audiologist doing the tests that dizziness will happen. I did survive the whole ordeal in the office but as soon as I came out of the office I was very nauseas. I had to sit for a while before I could head back home. I went home and was more dizzy N nauseas for the next couple of days. I know everyone's experience will be different but it's not a test that will cause you pain. I wish you all the best; let us know how it went:-) Take care

• Posted

I went through the balance testing after having the nerve cut in my right ear. Interesting that after the surgery and sitting up in bed I felt great. Wandered why two therapists came in to help me walk until I took my first step and immediately started to fall to my right. It took 6 weeks of intense therapy including what I call a shaker table, to allow me to get my balance back. But you should not fear it. It's just a part of getting through this.

• Posted

Richard, 

May I ask what procedure did you have? I’m thinking once I’m healed from this fiasco I’m in. Doing the gentamicin drops in my ear. 

Willow 

• Posted

Willow. I was having drop attacks. Everything would start spinning without warning and I would fall to the ground until it past or was controlled enough that I could crawl to bed or someone could guide me. This would also happen when in was asleep causing me to fall out of bed. No shunt, or injections worked so I chose the clippingnof the balance nerve. It did not take away the tinnitus but it allowed me to have a life again without worrying whether I would loose control. There is so much more but this is a short version.
    • Posted

Thank you, 

I asked to have the nerve cut but was denied.  He wanted to do a revision of the Sac Decompression. Which I did, and since to many issues to explain.  I’m not sure if they would even do surgery again on my ear.  

Thanks again for the info. 

Willow 

• Posted

Hi Christina91807,

I had a full balance test in the UK in September. Pretty much the same procedure as the other responses, but I could only manage to have the hot air and not the cold as it did bring on a full vertigo attack for me. My advice would be to have a family member or friend take you to the appointment and hope it goes well.

• Posted

Hi all, thank you so much for all of your encouragement and advice. My tests haven't even been booked yet but your advice has helped ease my anxiety - will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Thanks again,

Christina

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.