Ballon Dialation for chronic ETD (20 years) Pressure, Tinnitus

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been living with ETD for 20 years now. I've heard about balloon dilation for etd. I would like to see if anyone has had this done and what are the results. I've combed these forums and found more questions than answers.

A little bit about my condition and what I've tried in the past. ..

One day my right ET just closed up and I couldn't pop my ear. I think it could have been caused when i use to smoke cigs. I also think I might have been born with a weak right ET as i have had problems when i was really young with that same ear. After my first symptoms of ETD, my right ear used to get wooshing sounds at first, then it progressed to more high-pitched and louder tinnitus. If I decide to drive through the mountains or even a train ride with hills, my ear has a difficult time equalizing and causes some pain. If i eat a large amount of sugar my ear will get very loud tinnitus(only right ear). I avoid caffeine, excess sugars, and anything that aggravates my T.

I've seen about 4 ENTS and a few doctors about my situation.

1st ENT. prescribed Allegra which did not help.

2nd. ENT put a tube in my ear. It helped with equalizing the pressure but did not open the rest of my ET.

3rd. ENT did surgery on the Adenoids and cut a hole in my septum to open up the right nostril to help with the ETD. My right nostril was pretty much broken and compacting my breathing. (did not help).

4th. Antihistamine sprays, fluconazole, you name it, I've snorted it up my nose. (did not work)

I now am at a crossroads, do the balloon dilation and risk some further complications as I've read, or, try using saline spray and use the technique to get it directly in your ET. I first tried that last week and it aggravated my T and swelled up my inner ear a bit but I feel like I might have a tiny bit more room in the tube a few days later. I am pretty much here to get some confidence moving forward with the Balloon dilation. I am mainly nervous that it will make my tinnitus worse, which I am not sure I can handle, or over-open my tube causing more horrible noises in my head. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi there i had the procedure your talking about three years ago .I would say it made a massive difference to my life .I am finding im suffering again so i hope i can have it done again .pleasure go ahead and have it done its painless .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.