Balloon dilation of eustachian tube blockage

Posted , 67 users are following.

Hi, I suffered from eustachian tube dysfunction since I got a serious sinusitis and a cold last September. I saw coutless ear and throat doctors and took numerous medicines but cannot unblock my ears. I am doing exercise, massage, sunna and eating healthy food but no cure. I searched Internet and found many medicial reports about the balloon dilation surgery, and it seem it can successfully open the eustachian tube without significant complications. I am considering to do it if my tubes are still block 3 months later.

Did anyone do this surgery before ? Pls kindly share your experience with us? A lot of thanks!

3 likes, 362 replies

362 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sesamegirl, I had this surgery 5 yrs ago. It was an extremely easy, out patient surgery.  Lasted about 20 min.  When i woke up i had no pain, my ears were clear and have stayed clear.  I was on THE DRS tv show with the surgery.  You can find it on their website if you are interested in seeing it.  Good luck!  i know that ETD can be a devastating condition. 
    • Posted

Hi, I think I saw that episode on YouTube, was your surgery with Dr Weeks? I have the other ET problem, Patulous ET and I wondered if he also does the PET surgery
    • Posted

Hi Tina, I'm not sure.  The last time I talked to him he wasn't, but u can call his office or e mail him from his website and ask.  I'm sorry you are suffering with PET.  I've heard it's very hard to live with also. 

• Posted

Hi,

Interested in your successful experience with Eustachian tube dilation. I've been to a few ENT doctors in the last 5 years complaining of my plugged up ears. They felt the pressure was not that great to do surgery which I really did not want to do, but I do want this problem to go away. I feel that I have some build up in both ears from an infection that is impeding drainage.

Did they remove or suction any build up during your procedure? What was there any recovery time? Do you know approximately how much it costs? During your consultation, did the doctor perform a lot of tests to definitively diagnose the problem that led to the balloon dilation.

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Posted

Hi Bob, sorry you are suffering. My surgery was filmed, so when i watch it, i see the dilation, then suctioning of mucus after the dilation.  My ins paid for alot of it, so i'm not real sure of the price. The ENT that did my surgery didn't do any tests.  Before him, i had some tests run on my hearing, allergy tests etc. By the time i got to him, he knew from my symptoms it was ETD. There was really no recovery time.  I didn't feel like anything had been done to my nose. No pain, just a little tired that night.  Very easy surgery. Good luck, i hope u get feeling better soon!

• Posted

Diane,

I did watch the filming of your procedure. The balloon dilation interests me because I really did not want to be cut and have tubes placed inside. My problem started with allergies, then after swimming, I got an infection and pressure was so great I was advised not to fly. I then took antibiotics and got rid of the infection but my ears have been stuffy and plugged ever since. I hold my nose and blow several times a day. Couple more questions that would help me decide on a consultation with the doctor which I'm pretty sure that it would be ETD. I have allergies which I control but I am otherwise in excellent health.

Do you have allergies? Are your ears still clear? How long did you put up with clogged ears before your procedure? Are there similarities from what I've been putting up with what you experienced?

Thank you so much for your input. I'm glad it was successful for you.

• Posted

Dian

I saw the show with you on it. I was excited that I might be able to get relief! I've had plugged eustachian tubes sence 2001! I was told by one Dr. "just get used to it! I just got back from seeing another Dr. and he said that he knew of the eustachian tube dilation prociedure but didn't know enough about it to recomend it. Another $25.00 co-pay out the window that I really couldn't afford!  I thougth about asking for a refund! 

Anyone that wants to see a short low quality video of me trying to "clear" my tubes, I'll get the URL to you some way. I really don't want to make the address public.

My ears are REALLY hurting right now!

I don't have the money to goto S CA.  Anyone know of a Dr in or around MN that does eustachian tube dilation prociedure?

Any other suggestions are welcome!

You have my "ears"! LoL~!

• Posted

I also forgot to mention that the Dr. said it's proabably a nerve issue! I have sensitive ears. He was talking really LOUD!

• Posted

No allergies, yes my ears are still clear, popping normally.  I couldn't pop my ears for 3 1/2 yrs. I have learned NOT to try to pop my ears by blowing.  I believe i was just irritating them, as i did this constantly!!  When the clog, i just wait it out and they always open.  Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi Dan, 

I'm curious to learn a little bit more about your doctor thinking this was nerve related. Did they expand on that a bit? Did they recommend any neropathy related drugs?

• Posted

Erica, I think it was the only thing he could think of to say! Something to "get me out of his office"! He didn't recommend any drugs, he suggested I see a neurologist.

Having these plugged tubes is really depressing! Takes a lot of energy from me!

• Posted

Yeah, I hear ya. I have quite an ordeal with my ears as well. I have seen alot of ENTs at this point and am starting to figure them out a bit. One was actually a great surgeon, but not a great diagnostician and the one that my insurance covers is more of a nost guy. I was able to finally have a frank conversation with him about the "team" of doctors I have to assemble if I ever want to get an answer to this ordeal. He admitted that I really need to find a doctor that focuses on the eustachian tubes. I am seeing a neurotologist this month in hopes that I can get a bit deeper than eustachian tube dysfunction

• Posted

Hi Diana, 

I sent a post already but it didn't appear, don't know why. I'm in ireland and going for the baloon procedure next week in the UK. Was in a car accident 17 years ago and have suffered with poor hearing since then. Curious to know how your valsalva was before/after. I have one "good" ear which responds hugely to valsalva (hearing goes from 50% to 80%)but the results are only temporary (might last a few minutes or a couple of hours) and then I have to do another Valsalva. Over the last 15 years I'd say I have done millions of these! The left ear is not as good but better than it was due to Tympanoplasty with OCR surgury done about 2 years ago. valsalva also improves this ear but not to the same extent. I have the feeling of blocked ears all the time, i can hear myself breath and when im eating people have to speak up as the chewing noise in my head is very loud! Did valsalva work for you prior to the balloon procedure? Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Hi Dave, So sorry about your accident. I used to "try" to pop my ears with valsalva all day long.  I never could get them to pop tho. I wonder if i was irritating them more trying so much to pop them, but its hard not to do! Now that i had the surgery, i never try to open them-i am just patient, and they pop on their own. I could hear lots of loud noises before the surgery-lots of popping, clicking, crackling...it was hard to sleep with all the noise in my head.  I hope you find your answer to this aggravating problem! 

• Posted

Dave it really sounds like you have Patulous eustachian tube and the ballonn procedure could make it worse. I spoke with a leading researcher in the procedure here in NYC and he told me I wasn't a candiate because I have patulous symptoms along with the clogging. What you described as hearing chewing noises really sounds like patulous

• Posted

Hi, I've been told that my ear drums are retracted which is in keeping with middle Ear pressure being less due to closed/narrow eustacian tubes. People with patulous ET generally have to 'sniff' to equalise pressure  whereas obstructive ET sufferers need to 'pop' ears. 6 days till procedure!

If it works I'll be over the moon. 17 yrs since car accident, compete with 2 CPR's in the car at the scene, 6 scull fractures, broken nose and jaw, dislocated ossicles in both ears. In theatre For 14 hours, 2 months in a coma on life support, Left side paralyses for 6 months after waking up. Extreme Short term memory loss for 1 year year (but which got better pretty quickly after that). Back to work within 10 months, never been out of work since. Very poor hearing that 3 surgeries have improved. 

If this works I'm fully repaired!! sorry to ramble with complete list sorry but getting excited even though I know I shouldn't.

• Posted

Wow, I'm so happy to hear you were able to recover from all that. I have recently come down with a whole host of disorders from no apparent cause. I'm impressed you were able to make such strides and hope you come out ahead after the procedure. Please keep us updated!

• Posted

Aloha Diana Taylor

I called Dr. Weeks office yesterday and they informed me that I would have to come in for a consultation to determine if I am a candidate for ETD procedure. Would you know how that is determined? I would have to spend a other of money out of pocket to do this.....then to find out I'm not a good candidate? I've seen 2 ENT Doctor's that say I have eustachian tube dysfunction.

Any advice would be greatlying appreciated.

• Posted

Kelly, i had to fly to CA many times....it was all worth it.  You have to look at it from a drs stand point.  They can't diagnose you without seeing you.  I think i flew to CA 5 times in all, but i also was suffering w a sinus inf. That he fixed first. Would i do it again?  Yep, in a heart beat.  But i was lucky, i found my answer. I was desperate, and when i found Dr. Weeks, and had my first appt w/him, he hugged me and my husband, and told me, he was with me,as long as i was willing to work w/him to figure it out.  The thing that was different about Dr Weeks was....he told me, if plan A doesn't work, we will do plan B, and if that doesn't work, plan C.. He told me he would never give up.  That's all i needed to hear after ENT's telling me they couldn't help me. You have to decide if its worth the money..  For me it was.  I hope u find your answer!  This condition is soooo frustrating!! Keep me posted!

• Posted

Dr Weeks is really a great Doctor. One of the test he did for ETD was to pierce one of my ear drums which has an effect of releasing the pressure and then seals itself back up in 3 days. You write down your experience and changes and then report back to him. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying.

The lady that answered at his office was very nice......tried to answer all of our questions. Told her we have seen 2 ENT's.....done all the steroid nasal spray, over the counter stuff, steam inhalation etc. She said we would have to come in for a consultation, then if I was a candidate for the procedure I would have to fly there 2 months later. I've booked a flight from Honolulu to San Diego for the end of February (earliest he could see me) I've been out of work for 2 months with this problem. I'm 52 years old...never been sick...no sinus problems, no allergies?? About a month after my eustachian tubes closed I had panic attacks?? Scared me...I'm still a little anxious....but I'm hoping it's all because of my ears?? It's been 4 months of Hell.

Most people I talk to have no idea of eustachian tube dysfunction and can relate to what I'm going through.😣

• Posted

Kelly you poor thing!!! I suffer with panic attacks and it's defiitely not helped by your ears. It's so common for people experiencing eustachian tube dysfunction to be more prone to vestibular problems which heighten anxiety. The vestibular system (balance system) is very close to your middle ear hence when people get a cold or flu that block them up, they feel off balance or dizzy. That is what is happeneing to you. Not sure if Stemetil or Cerc would help this but they are prescribed for vertigo and general balance discomfort. It might be worth asking your ENT/GP. People are quick to tell you anxiety is all in your head and to snap out of it. They have no idea what it's like to feel 'out of it' constantl while worrying about what is medically happening to your body. All the best!!! xx

• Posted

Thanks so much.....I've never had a panic attack ever!!! So do u think it was caused from bring sick with eustachian tube dysfunction?

I've never been sick before other than a common cold....got a cold in September and that's when my eustachian tubes closed up. Clicking....crackling....popping....pressure.

Still so shocking in this day and age that there's no treatment for this?

• Posted

It would have absolutely been caused by what is going on with your eustachian tubes!!! I see it all the time. People that have never suffered with anxiety start suffering high levels of anxiety and panic attacks. I too find it hard to believe that we are only just starting to find treatments like balloon dilation but it's because the eustachian tube is so close to major nerves arteries and veins so has been very difficult to get to and treat. xxxx

• Posted

I asked my doctor and she said...oh no no it wouldn't.?? Very frustrating.

Do you have eustachian tube dysfunction? How long have u had it? Any advise for comfort...anything that gives you some help?

• Posted

Idiot doctor!!! Some people have no problem others have a lot of anxiety with it. I suffered ETD as a child but not anymore. My daughter does though. The only way to feel comfortable is to find out what works to relieve symptoms. If you search the ETD pages on this website you will find different medications and nasal sprays that sufferers have found that work. I wish I could be of more help!! xxx
    • Posted

If it is a nerve issue gabapentin would help with pain.
    • Posted

Hi Diana, I decided to see Dr. weeks because of your testimonial of him. I am scared that he won't be able to do anything for me, because that is all I have heard before, and my situation is atypical. I'm worried my symptoms wont be "extreme" enough to require the balloon surgery, and I'll be told I just have to live with it, or that it is considered mild. even though to me, it doesn't feel mild, or like a small issue. Thank you for your information. Without your comments in this seciton I wouldn't have known about dr. weeks. its worth a shot. I live in denver, flying in in less than 3 weeks. 

• Posted

HI Lauren.  All i can say is Dr. Weeks was the only dr that gave me hope. I really think he can help you.  He takes these conditions very seriously, and knows how they affect our quality of life.  Like i have said before, he had a plan A, plan B, Plan C etc... and wasn't going to give up, as long as I didn't either.  It wasn't a one time trip to CA, but he never gave up on me, and I am so grateful I believed in him.  I hope you have the same experience, and can be helped too.  Try to stay positive! 

• Posted

Thank you diana, youre giving me hope. It can be hard to stay positive when you feel like no one understands, and its invisible to others. Thank you!
    • Posted

i had these same symptoms Kelly, i went through all the hassle of joining this site and wrote out a post which included a link to a you tube video (where nothing was being advertised or offensive) which got rid of the pressure and clicking in my ear, only to have it deleted by a mod. i dont know why, as they dont give an explaination. you `ll have to pm me if you want the link.
    • Posted

Hi Dan,

I am in MN also and have a eustachian tube dysfunction in one ear. Any suggestions on which ENTs have seemed most helpful/knoweledgable?  Thanks!

• Posted

How can I pm you on this site? I have ETD and have been diagnosed by Dr Weeks but cannot afford the $3000 for the balloon to do the surgery. Would like to see the video on YouTube, perhaps give me the title of it and I can search it on YouTube. Thanks
    • Posted

search you tube for

Dr.T`s Ear Infection Massage Method

posted by Family Pediatrics, the first couple mins are a bit dull, you could probably skip the first 2:10. not saying it will work for you, but it did for me. gotta be worth a try.

• Posted

Hi Lauren, I'm from Denver as well. I'm having my ent do it on me next week. There are several doctors who do it here. Why did you decide to go with Dr. Weeks? Please update us on how it goes!

• Posted

Just wondering Kim if your insurance is covering the cost of the balloon because Dr Weeks charges $3000 for it. Mine will not cover it because there is no code to bill it under.
    • Posted

Keep trying with your ins.  I know that there is a code now, that a lot of ins companies are starting to cover it.
    • Posted

My sinus guy does it in office, he did not say there would be a charge. The others charge about $2000. I have significant etd and most docs are hesitant to try anything. But my sinus guy wil try. I think I'll give it a shot but I'm scared he'll mess it up and I'll be worse. I've had etd for20 yrs. sinus surgery was supposed to make it better but it had the opposite effect and both ears are trashed. There are some ent's who just do it in office, under the radar. Would like to go to Dr. Weeks but cannot fly back and forth each time. Dr Dean in Tx. Is also an option. I heard he was a great guy. Would like to trust the doc that does it, but finding a good ent in Denver is impossible. I think I've been to all of them.

• Posted

Kim, i would find someone who had it done, in office, before going through with it.  I have a friend who's ENT tried to do it, in office with just local numbing and it went horribly. Be careful and do your homework first. You are right, you want to trust your dr. 

• Posted

Was it in Denver? What happened and is her ETube worse now? Are you going to Dr. Weeks? My doc actually said they were friends. So I called Dr Weeks and he said yes, they were friend and that he would trust him to do it. But, I don't trust my doctor.

• Posted

Can't imagine having it for that long Kim. Sorry to hear you are unable to fly back to Dr Weeks, he is really good. I hear from Diana in an earlier post that there are some insurance companies that are paying for this now and there is a code for it now. Weeks has me using Flonase, 2 sprays each nostril once a day and says long term use is not a problem and that it could heal on its own, don't want to wait though. He also told me to continue using Neilmed sinus rinse. I had him do sinus surgery and throat reconstruction on me and now I no longer use cpap, which may have been a contributing factor to my ETD. My breathing is incredible now, like day and night. My ears are good some days depending on the weather which can cause pressure changes says Dr Weeks. Hope you can find someone to help you nearby.

• Posted

Did you fly out to see him? I like the idea of having it done while awake, but I don't really like my doctor. But he's just doing it for free. He did sinus surgery on me and was convinced that would cure my ear. Not so much.

• Posted

I'm wondering why you don't trust your dr?  Personally i wouldn't have any procedure from a dr i didn't trust-free or not.  My friends surgery was in Utah.  She was one of this Drs first attempts at the new dilation surgery. I talked w/Dr Weeks about doing it in office and he doesn't do it. I know it was extremely uncomfortable/painful for my friend, and unsuccessful.  When i had my surgery they taped it for THE DRS tv show.  You can google it to get more info, but its pretty similar to this video.  I just received an e mail from a fellow ETD sufferer who had the surgery from Dr. Weeks and it was another success story.  So try to stay positive, no matter what you decide to do. 

• Posted

I live one hour from Dr. Weeks office so I'm glad I didn't have to fly since I've seen him about 8 times. I would not recommend doing this while you're awake. Dr. Weeks uses general anesthesia and it is performed in a hospital. This guy is experienced so he has his reasons for doing it this way, don't risk your life or hearing for a freebie.

• Posted

I actually called Dr Weeks and he said he trusted and liked my dr. And would trust him to do it. I had sinus surgery with him, he thought it would fix my ear, but I don't think I needed the surgery and made my ears worse. Where do you live? I have 4 kids and just don't think I could leave let alone pay for all those visits. I wish he were closer. I think I watched you on the doctors show, so are you needing it fine again or hss it held? Thanks for answering so many questions. I'm not crazy about this idea, did your friends eat get worse or did it just hurt?

• Posted

Kim, it didn't fix her ETD. I live in Utah. My problems started with sinus surgery here in Utah. It was hard going to CA a few times, but i was desperate. My ears are still clear and its been about 5 yrs.  But if i ever had to do it again, i would..  very easy surgery.  I hope you find your answers! I know how frustrating it can be. 

• Posted

Diana, what tests did he do to make sure you were a good candidate? I've had pressure, hearing loss and retracted ear drum for 20 years, but after the sinus surgery they are awful, I can pop my ear but immediately it fills with pressure. It never equalizes on its own, I usually have to manually clear on it by pulling then opening my jaw. The ringing is awful. How many visits out before you did the surgery? Do you know others who have gone to him and had success? It would be worth it if I knew it would work but the success rate isn't that impressive. Can I ask what your synptoms were?

• Posted

Kim, I couldn't pop my ears at all for about 3 1/2 yrs. I heard loud clicking noises every time i swallowed and had pain behind my nose-also muffled hearing.  I flew out a few times, first to have sinus surgery, then to have my e tubes dilated. Probably 5 times. I didn't have any tests done first. I actually just received an e mail from one of Dr. Weeks patients who had the surgery, and it was a success for him. I wish i could be of more help, all ii can say is that this procedure worked for me.  I hope you find your answer too!

• Posted

Dr. Weeks told me there is an 80% success rate and within that other 20% there may have been a misdiagnosis so the success rate is probably higher than 80%.

Diana, have any of the patients had their insurance pay for the procedure? Still hoping a code will pop up someday. smile

• Posted

Jto, someone send me an article about how the FDA has approved the balloon dilation surgery.  The man that just contacted me about his successful surgery said his insurance did pay. 80% is pretty good!
    • Posted

WOW!.....that would be great! I'm going to have a consultation with Dr. Weeks at the end of February to see if I'm a candidate for the procedure. It would be a blessing if my insurance covers it.

Considering I live in Hawaii and have to fly to San Diego with husband....airfare, hotel and car expense for just a consultation. Would anyone know how many times would I have to fly back in forth? One for consultation and one for procedure?

• Posted

Ok, you may have convinced me. I just had sinus surgery in June, with his friend who is my doc. I don't like him at all. I'm checking into every reason why my sinuses are giving me grief still, want to make sure post nasal drip is gone, and making sure surgeon didn't give me a spinal fluid leak during surgery. But flights from here are only $200. So might just splurge and do it. Maybe just plan for summer and bring the family.

• Posted

Probably twice for sure, one for consult the other for the procedure.  They have some hotels that will give you a discount that are close by, for people having surgery and having to fly in.  
    • Posted

I am so ready to get this done myself. I can't believe BCBS Federal insurance has not covered this procedure yet. Weeks told me it was FDA approved but not approved by the insurance company yet. sad

• Posted

Which insurance does he have? Does he have a code? smile

• Posted

Thanks Diana, any idea how many of these he's done? I cannot imagine life with normal ears. Don't you get so nervous every time you get sick?

• Posted

I don't know for sure how many procedures he has done.  Yes, i used to get nervous, especially when i drive through the nearby canyon, and my ears need to pop many times.   I would just let my body pop them open on thier own, and it alway did. But it was scary at first. 

• Posted

Hi kim, i am flying to dr weeks from denver because frankly i didnt know there were doctors that do it here. And i may not need it who knows...dr weeks is an incredible doctor it sounds like and i want to see him. Every ent ive seen in denver has offered me NOTHING! Never even mentioned any option except flonase, etc. Honestly i was close to giving up i feel lucky that i even learned about dr weeks and this surgery. do not have this done by a doctor you dont trust. U will probably just fly there twice anyway, if your denver doctor already thinks u need it, u can tell dr weeks that. My flight there was $59 with spirit airline, my flight back was like $100 and my hotel is $56 and its right next door to dr weeks office. Not bad. Dont worry about your kids... you need to do this for yourself, your family may have to adjust financially for awhile but your health, in the hands of the right doctor, should be first priority.
    • Posted

When are you going to see Dr. Weeks?

I have an appointment at the end of February. Keep us posted on what you learn....how many visits...if your insurance pays...etc.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Omg you live in Denver?!? Where? When ru going maybe I'll fly out with you if I can get an appt!

• Posted

Hi Dave,

Can I ask you where you had your Balloon dilation procedure done in the UK?  

My ENT Consultant thinks it would be very beneficial for me to have it done but we can't find a health professional that does it.  

I've had hearing problems since I was a toddler, but it really deteriorated about 25 years ago when I suffered bilateral perforation of my eardrums when I had a cold. Since then after years of recurrent infections and grommet insertions my eardrums are very thin and badly scarred. My left eustachian tube completely blocked about 18 months ago, sadly valsalva manoeuvres won't unblock it. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sarah

• Posted

I saw a DR in Clackamas Oregon who does the Sinus balloon procedure, and he said I was not qualified for that.  But he did recommend tubes in

my ear drum to aleviate deafness in my right ear.  What is your experience with the tubes u had done?

• Posted

Hi Janice,

I've probably had 6 sets of grommets inserted in both eardrums over the past 25 years. I have glue ear, which I think I've probably had since I was a child but Doctors just used to syringe my ears out in the hope of helping me hear better. I just got on with it until both eardrums ruptured within 24 hours in 1991, it was just after this that I had the first grommet operation. For years afterwards, I had countless ear infections which have scarred my eardrums to the point that they're too scarred now for any further operations. I really don't know if grommets helped or not in my case. I do know of people who've had it done and it's helped them immensely. In my case it seems to be a cycle with fluid build up behind my eardrum, grommets are inserted, grommets fall out of their own accord, hole heals and fluid builds up again.

Now both my Eustachians tubes are permanently blocked so my Consultant is looking to refer me to a Doctor here in the U.K. who performs the Eustachian tube dilation.

I hope this helps?

Sarah

• Posted

this is the firs time ive had a hearing problem so I hope I won't go through a situation like yours.  Hope the balloon procedure works for you.

• Posted

Dave would love your advise.on this if possible. Did u have procedure? Did u get relief from it? And more importantly for an extremely nervous patient was.it a tough recovery? Any advise would be greatly appreciated im due to have this done monday and having read lots on it and.am so nervous considering cancelling. Any help/advise much appreciated
    • Posted

Who is doing it? Will you be asleep or awake? I'd really like to be awake, but the guy doing it uses the Acela tent sinus ballloon, but gets the whole thing covered, everyone else, I'd be asleep.o want to feel like I have a little control, it rules my life and ruins it, so am desperate for a good outcome. I got in touch with an acclarent rep and he was really knowledgeable, said couldn't give me medical advice, but had a few doc's ho recommended.

• Posted

Kim, you are saying the insurance covers the balloon and surgery. If so can you get the code that covers the balloon? Dr Weeks has his patients go under for this procedure, due to how sensitive the ear is, I would not want to be awake for it myself.
    • Posted

Ru in Denver? The rep likes my sinus guy, Dr hepworth, that ugh he does it off label, Dr Dean in Tx and Dr Whiting in Lone Tree. There is one more guy in the springs that he likes, he's getting back to me with appt details. Dr Cutler does it and so do ramachrishna at Anschutz, they use a different method with rigid endoscope, and Anschutz has yet to accept a patient. I think the guy in the springs sounds great, I will let you know his name, I'll contact the rep. My ent uses sinus balloon but acclarent system. I'm really torn. I have a leak of thin fluid that goes in my ears that no one seems to want to figure out. I'd love for that to go away and then I'd pay any amount and probably go to Dr dean or dr weeks. Dr Dean actually test your etube. I've heard he's tremendous. But I'm desperate to clear up this leak

• Posted

Hello, i just saw dr weeks this morning and he did that test, piercing my ear drum. So far i still have clicking althought the pressure feels better. What was your experience? Im wondering since i still have the clicking if that is a bad sign that the balloon dilation wont help. Do you have any more info? It would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    • Posted

Hi Lauren,

I don't have any helpful information but would like to know what you find out. I have had euthachian tube dysfunction for going on 5 years. My ears have never opened back up since the start. I am in California so very interested to see what dr weeks does.

thank you,

Kelly

• Posted

Lauren, I believe if you have a hole and feel better than it is indeed your etube. If hole doesn't help than dilation wouldnt help. I'm sure I have clicking, but I don't notice it because there me the pressure is worse. I love having a hole in my ear but have tried putting a tube in ear 6 times and find it inbareable.

• Posted

My ear experienced pressure changes and I remember the sounds changed in that ear. It felt really plugged for awhile and then it seemed to normalize. I don't think the clicking is a bad sign, write down what you experience and trust Weeks. I did hearing test on myself with the tv turned down real low. I would cover each ear to see if the one he pierced could hear better. Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi Diana....I will be leaving for San Diego in a week in a half.......should I be concerned about flying? Should I do something prior to flight? Very nervous 😯

• Posted

Hi Kelly, are u heading for a consult or surgery?  I sure hope you find an answer.  For me, flying to San Diego i had no worries, because it couldn't get any worse than it was.  For me there was a lot more pressure and it wasn't comfortable.  Probably something to help u relax might help. I was more worried on the way home after surgery.  Keep me posted! Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks....just for a consultation. I pray he can help me. I appreciate all your advise and support.
    • Posted

I'm thankful for you Diana!

You do give me hope!

Just having a bad few days with this.

I'm counting & praying with you Kelly!

I found a dr. But can't afford him.

Insurance needs to hurry up!

• Posted

I have BCBS federal too.  Have they started covering the surgery?  I noticed this post was from two months ago.  
    • Posted

No, not that I know of. I have the surgery on February 27th, $3000 cost which I can't really afford. Don't want to lose my hearing so I'm going ahead with it and see if I can appeal it with BCBS.

• Posted

Please let me know how it goes. I am sitting in the ENT office now waiting to discuss various options.

I would prefer the balloon dilation surgery rather than trying tubes.

$3000 isn't bad at all for any type of surgery. It was more than that for my kid's wisdom teeth removal. I would definitely pay it to get rid of this. Usually the hospital fees are more than the surgeon fees.

• Posted

Hi Kim!

Just wanted to see if you had the balloon dialated for ETD and Joe you are now? Thanks missy!

• Posted

Hey Lauren!!! Just wanted to see if you had the Valois dialation procedure done? Thanks missy
    • Posted

Hi fave I'm also in Ireland looking into having this procedure. I see you had to go to the UK to get it done though? Can I ask where?

Just wondering how it went for you?

• Posted

Jto!! Do you mean he did a Myringotomy??

How are you doing since the dialation?

• Posted

Very funny Miss, Myringotomy! I'm doing well but am waiting to give a full report until after my 8 weeks are up. My ears are very sensitive to low-pressure systems in the atmosphere, my ears become plugged, but as soon as high pressure returns my ears feel normal. My hearing is definitely better now, I'll give more info later.

• Posted

Glad you're doing well!

Crazy how weeks gives 8 weeks on healing and others only 2 weeks.

I wish there was a booklet or something that would give details on what to expect when recovering and how long for inflammation ect.

• Posted

I had forgotten about this thread. My eustachian tube disfunction hasn't gotten any better! More than 10 years this has plagged me! I made a short video of the sounds my ears make. Enjoy! LoL 

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Anyone want to watch a poor quaity video of what my ears sound like? I tried to put a link in, but it was removed. My YouTube is Dan'smetube. Title of the video is "My ear problem".

These ears are really getting me down!

• Posted

Searched your YouTube channel and I can't find the video........sad

• Posted

PM sent. thanks for trying to look for it! I wish it wasn't edited out!

• Posted

Anyone else want to watch the video? Send me a PM.
    • Posted

Was the $3000 for one ear or both? Did you get the surgery?
    • Posted

It was for both ears and after all copays, it ran about $3500
    • Posted

You do not just get used to blocked eustachian tubes. My right tube has always been mostly blocked, only holding my nose and blowing could clear it. That was painful and threatened to rupture my left eardrum so I just let it plug. Big mistake, the air inside the middle ear is absorbed and the eardrum sucks in and contacts the skin and bone of the middle ear. This causes excess skin growth and infections. My first surgery was in 1987 after years of suffering. My ENT did not open the tube, he just carved out more space in my inner ear. Big fail. In 1997 another ENT was horrified at what the other doctor had done. He then attempted to strengthen my eardrum with plastic. More fail. I now have lost 90% of the hearing in that ear.

Last year I pestered him into inserting a tube. After a painless five minutes he had it in. Ahh, no pain. Unfortunately two months ago I experienced sever pain in my jaw and ear and got an appointment to see him. Bad news and worse news, the tube had fallen out but my ear was not infected, I have TMJ.

I think he is wrong but he is retiring so I need to see another ENT anyway and see about getting that tube unblocked. Remember, do not let your tubes sty blocked for long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.