Balloon dilation procedure

Posted , 15 users are following.

I live in Michigan, in the United States. Wondering if anyone here has ever had the balloon dialation procedure? Who was the Dr. ? What was the outcome? Any comments would be helpful.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Has anyone’s had the Eustachian tube dialation and tubes done at the same time? Is the balloon dialation procedure worth it if I’m already having tubes put in?

Any complications with the balloon dialation? I’ve had ETD for years and have avoided tubes until I got sick 2 months ago and my ears want unplug. 

• Posted

hey guys

mark from toronto. been suffering from ear pain and fullness for 7 yrs. i had my balloon dilation yesterday as im running out of ideas. so post op. pain and burning senstion in my bad ear. LOTS of popping and crackling. also hearing my voice vibrate in my head which is really annoying. not jumping to any conclusions yet. gonna let everything adjust and settle for a coiple months and ill report back. ear fullness f@##%ing sucks. all the best

• Posted

Hello,

I had this surgery two weeks ago and I also have the same results as Mark71416. And I still can't hear from my left ear, which is why I had this surgery. I hope that my hearing improves. And that burning sensation- I have to take Aleve all the time. 

• Posted

hey

how are you doing?? im in full blown panic mode. this was supposed go be an easy procedure. im in a lot of pain 4 days later and its my entire head. eyes teeth temple cheeks ears and mastoid. also this vibration in my head when i talk?? i cant live like this....what are your symptoms? and who did your surgery?

• Posted

Hello,

Oh wow, I'm sorry. I still can't hear on my left ear (which was the point of the surgery) sounds like fishbowl/muffled sound. Also, burning sensation on the left ear (like someone put hot coal down my ear) and I have to take Aleve all the time.  I think you need to go to your doctor a.s.a.p. if you are in that much pain. 

Dr. William Cohen in Orange, CA. 

Hope things get better.

• Posted

yes! fish bowl is a perfect description. and yes my left ear was my bad ear as well. i had both done but the pain is in the bad ear.... i do have a follow up soon. the pain seems to have spread much further than expected. fingers crossed. good luck to ya lisa
    • Posted

Hey rebecca

So I am healed. The pain and patulous effect went away but it took 6-8 weeks. I do have clicking now when I swallow which is more of an annoyance. The procedure did not work for me. I have a chiropractor who is suggesting my ear pressure and fullness may be from the muscles surrounding my eustachian tube

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry it didn't work for you. I am very much on the fence about this procedure. The Dr that would be covered to do it has only done it 30 times and the one I want to see, but not in my insurance, who has done it thousands of times is $15k. But it seems like the success rate is so small!

• Posted

Hey

Yes unfortunately it's a new procedure. On a positive note, I was told it's a very simple procedure.....I was desperate and knew it may not work as ents have told me my e tubes seem to be workout properly. I've had unexplained ear pressure for 10 yrs and ran out of options so I tried my luck. May work for you though. I paid 3000 out of pocket which was upsetting but your health is more important than money. I'd suggest you try everything else before this if your condition is bearable. Good luck. I know how irritable ear conditions are.

• Posted

I have tubes in my ears for over three years now. They gave me my sanity back!

• Posted

Hi! Do either of you have a follow up on how you are feeling? Are your ears any better after balloon dilation? I am getting my septum fixed in a few weeks and plan to have the balloon dilation in about 6 months.

• Posted

My second balloon dilation with my adenoid revision was successful. However, I still have tubes in my ears!

• Posted

Hello,

I know this post may be old, but my ENT has recommended this new procedure on my right ear. I'm a 40 year old female and had ear problems all my life, 5 ear tube surgeries as a child and then 3 ear tube surgeries as an adult. I have also had 2 sinus surgeries, both to scrap and clean out the sinus. I currently suffer from Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and chronic sinusitis. I have seen an ENT in Des Moines, Iowa for the past 10 years and have been frustrated at getting no relieve. I'm now at a new ENT in West Des Moines, IA that has recommended the balloon dilation and placement of an ear tube at same time. I have 80% ear loss in my right ear when I don't have a tube in it, however, the 3-5 year tubes have only been staying in for about a year and they fall out (right ear only). I have been reading these posts to see what everyone has experienced and will let everyone know how my outcome will be after the balloon and tube placement. I have United Health Care and trying get approval for them to pay for it. Not sure if anyone else had Insurance issues for payment of this procedure?

Thanks!

• Posted

I had it done twice and neither time the insurance covered it. The first time, I paid only half as negotiated with my doctor. The second time I had it done with a different doctor and she never asked me to pay for it despite the denial by the insurance. Both times I had it done with an adenoidectomy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.