Balloon Dilation vs Ear Tube (Tympanostomy Tube)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Dear All,

?I have been suffering from Eustachian Tube Dysfunction since Nov (6 months ago).  The main symptom is pressure build up (-d 120) and pain coming from the "back of my ear" frequently.  On top of that, left side of my nose constantly experienced nasal blockage as well most likely related to ETD.  

?Q1 - Can anyone relate to the above symptoms?

?Q2 - Would Ear Tube (Tympanostomy) be a good surgery for symptoms described?  How risky is the surgery?  Will it make pressure/tension worst?

?Q3 - Would Balloon Dilation surgery be a better solution?  How so? 

?Q4 - How much more risk is Balloon Dilation compared with Ear Tube insertion?  

?Q5 - Anyone recommends a good doctor on the west coast?  

?Your support and recommendations are much appreciated.  I hope this 6 months suffering can come to an end soon.

?Sincerely.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

JeanJL, I have been suffering with this since beginning of Jan. Have been to my primary dr, ent, 3 times now going to another ent on Tuesday. Have had 3 rounds of steroids, tons of decongestants and allergy pills. I've tried the Eutaschia popper, that thing you use to open your ears had hearing test and all to no avail! I've heard of the balloon dilation, it has worked for some and not for others. Most people say the tubes make it worse. I live in Oregon so would love to find some names of great drs who do the balloon dilation . My closest town is Eugene. Going to try and get an MRI, or ctscan from this ent Tuesday. The frustration is REAL. Good luck and I will post more when I find out more

• Posted

Dear Joyce,

?Hang in there!  God has a good plan for all of us!  What kind of symptoms are you experiencing?  Pressure building up within the ear & behind the ear?  What did your hearing test show?  Are you having any sinus infection, assuming that's why you needed steroids?  Any antibiotics?  

Can you elaborate how Ear Tube (Tympanostomy) makes ETD symptoms worst?  I thought Ear Tube is a low risk procedure, but it actually has a lot of bad side-effects?  

Does CT Scan show severity of ETD or does it only show area of sinus infection?  ?Let me know the result of your CT Scan. 

Praying hard...

?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.