Bam

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my gallbladder out in 2017 I have now found out that this caused bile acid malabsorbtion, so could be on meds for this forever.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

does this mean you have very bad acid I've had dreadful nausea since I had mine out 5 month ago

• Posted

I have bad acid, but I also have a hiatus hernia so I'm not sure if this is bam, but it gives you a lot of gas which is horrible.

• Posted

HI AMANDA, I HAD MY GALLBLADDER OUT THREE YEARS AGO. I ALSO HAVE BILE REFLUX, UNTIL IM ALMOST DISABLED. I AM SICK ALL THE TIME, CAN HARDLY EAT. JUST BLANE FOODS. EVERYTHING I EAT CAUSES SO MUCH GAS, I LOOK LIKE IM 9 MONTHS PREGNANT. BUT I ALSO HAVE A HARD TIME PASSING THE GAS FOR SOME REASON. I ALSO HAVE ACID REFLUX, WITH A HIATAL HERNIA. AFTER GALLBLADDER SURGERY I ALSO GAINED 10LBS. ITS CRAZY BECAUSE I DONT EAT THAT MUCH. I DO HAVE TO EAT EVERY 2-3 HOURS IR I GET REALLY SICK AND DIZZY. IM TIRED ALL THE TIME, I HAVE PAIN IN MY STOMACH ALL THE TIME, PKUS WHERE THE GALLBLADDER ONCE WAS. I TAKE PROTONIX TWICE A DAY FOR ACID, BUT IT DOESNT TOUCH THE BILE ACID. WHAT ARE YOU TAKING FIR THE BILE ACID, WHAT DID YOUR DRS TELL YOU ABOUT IT. IM GOING IN FOR ANOTHER SCOPE. BUT I JUST HAD ONE 2 YEARS AGO, THEY SAID IT WAS IRRITAED BUT THATS ALL. DO YOU KNOW IF THEY CAN SEE ANYTHING ABOUT THE GALLBLADDER WITH A SCOPE. I WANTED TO HAVE THE HIATAL SURGERY DONE WHICH WOULD STOP ACUD REFLUX, BUT IVE HEARD IT DOESNT STOP BILE REFLUX. WHAT ARE WE TO DO. GOOD LUCK TO YOU

• Posted

I had to see gastro and they gave me questran there are a few meds you can try that do the same thing but these help with the gas bloating and diahrea.

• Posted

Hi cheryl, I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago and I've also got bile reflux which is causing gastritis in my stomach which gives me alot of pain on the left side, feeling sick every time I eat and not being able to sleep. I saw my gp and they thought I had a stomach ulcer initially until I had an endoscopy. I tried many meds but I was allergic to many of them so in the end I paid for a private consultation which was only on Wednesday and he has suggested that I take sucralfate which should help the amount of bile thats in my stomach. When I saw him he actually showed me my endoscopy pictures which I saw alot of bile and of course there shouldn't be much there but apparently this is a complication of gallbladder surgery. Its relatively easy to treat gastric reflux but its much harder to treat bile reflux as the symptoms maybe similar but the meds required are different.

The last time I saw this doctor I was suffering from pain under my right ribs, he thought it was abdominal wall nerve entrapment which I ended up going to a pain clinic and having nerve block put in. I've had 3 lots in total and he suggested that if the new med doesn't work that I should see the pain clinic again. Yet again this is a common problem of this type of surgery but not all doctors recognise it.

So hopefully when I get this new drug I will start to work or I'll be in contact with the pain clinic.

Let me know how your endoscopy goes.

• Posted

Hi there

This is all so interesting, I had my gallbladder out a year ago and after the initial period of healing things have been a nightmare, I live with extreme pain under my ribs, pain and nausea after eating, pain where my was and endless gastritis!!

I really get fed up and very depressed at times, I still am unable to digest any fats at all. I have been on a waiting list to see the gastro team but it has been 5 months. My gp only suggests blood tests😣😣

• Posted

HI Katherine, I was on sucralfate many years ago for acid reflux, before i had my gallbladder out it worked great, until they changed the manufacturer, then it made me sick. i have been thinking of getting back on it, i found a different manufacturer. Great idea, great med. ill talk to my gastro about it. thank you, and good luck to you. ill let you know about my scope. it might not be till around june.

• Posted

Hi Joanna, yes I know the feeling, this new problem started last November or should I say when it started to be really problematic. My gp did even refer me so I've paid to have a private appointment with a gastro who I saw before. They kept on giving me meds to help gastritis but doesn't treat the bile reflux so you end up in a vicious circle cos the bile is causing the gastritis and the meds won't help as you're not dealing with the cause. Unfortunately I've tried most of the ppi's and h2receptors but they all cause really bad itching with me so I ended up being awake most of the night so not getting any rest hence I get really down with it too.

I've gone back to a no fat, no spice diet that I went on before my gallbladder came out and even though I wasn't loosing much initially I've noticed now that it is starting to fall off of me. I am better though picking at food throughout the day rather than 3 meals a day.

You may want to mention about abdominal wall nerve entrapment or ACNES for short, when you get you're appointment as when you're eating and you're stomach swells this presses on the nerves so gives you pain. Mine started straight away after surgery. This condition is really debillitating but unfortunately its one of those that they don't know how long it will last. My 1st nerve block didn't last but the 2nd did for a few months but I think that was due to me knowing what to expect and being more exact with the source of pain. I'm on my 3rd lot and its last for 6 months at the mo, I can feel it and he has given me an open appointment if and when I need another lot.

Let me know when you get a date for your gastro appointment, have you had a gastroscopy as your gp can arranged for that for you.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, I hope it works for me as everything else I've been allergic too and the latest med is misoprostal gives you vaginal bleeding as it use to be used for abortions. My gastro was very surprised that I was given it as he hadn't prescribed it for years, even though it can be used for stomach ulcers.

Yes keep me updated, I don't seem to be going anywhere, I've been on and off this site since 2016!!

Take care & thanks for the info

• Posted

Hiya

Yes, ppi's only reduce stomach acid not bile that without a gallbladder drips constantly into the stomach I gather?

I will try lots of small meals, no fat of course which is a challenge.My gp did mention adhesions?? where after surgery organs and tissues stick together., we'll see, just great to chat as I feel very alone with all this x

• Posted

Oh I haven't heard about that but then I have had a CT scan and I would've thought that might be visible.

Yes thats right that bile is always dripping rather than being contained in the gallbladder. The bile comes down the bile duct which is further down than the stomach but when the stomach opens to let food out mine must be opening more than it should to let bile into the stomach as there was lot in there, even the gastro said there was alot in the letter to my gp. A small amount of bile in the stomach is normal but I had lots of the yellow substance, it was quite amazing actually to see the photos.

Yes I know the feeling, you do feel really alone, I know before I was finally diagnosed with a gallbladder that wasn't working which took 6 months of tests that this site was a godsend as no one I know had had theirs taken out.

Keep me updated with how you're getting on. x

• Posted

Thank you Amanda. What test did they do to find out about your bile reflux, if I may ask? Thank you for the name of the med. I will ask my gastro about it. Do you also take an acid blocking med. I take protonix. Thank you

• Posted

It was a gastroscopy. I was given omeprazole for acid reflux, but it didn't work for me, I just drink milk or take a general indigestion tablet.

• Posted

Sorry I got mixed up the test for bile acid malabsorbtion wasn't very nice it's called a nuclear acid sehcat scan, I had to swallow a pill with this nuclear stuff in they do a scan and you have to go back a week later for another scan the nuclear stuff clings to the bile and if its still in your system then they can confirm the bile acid malabsorbtion.

• Posted

HI Amanda, that does sound awful, did the pill make you feel sick? Thank you for telling me though, maybe thats a test i need, I will discuss it with my Gastro. You have given me great info, by the way, does the medication they are giving you, helping you at all, what are the side effects? Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.