Bananas!

Posted , 5 users are following.

20 years ago I was diagnosed with Gerd and Barrett's.  My first symptom was trouble swallowing solid food, pain even with water, pressure, burping.  Time went on, trouble breathing and feeling light-headed.

10 years ago I started to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.  I am trying to get myself sorted out.  Trying to figure out what is a symptom of anxiety and what may be related to reflux.

This is what is confusing me.  I have the symptoms of reflux when I eat certain foods however they are not typical and I do not know what foods to eat anymore.  I wanted to increase my magnesium levels thinking it may help my anxiety.  I started eating more bananas for this reason.  I noticed shortly after eating a banana I get all the GERD symptoms, pain, pressure, burping, chest tightness,  the list...  And yet I can eat freaking nachos chips loaded with hot salsa and be perfectly fine.  I am starting to think that I was miss diagnosed or something else is going on.  This makes no sense to me.  Any ideas.... Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Do your chest hurt like you think you having a heart attack?
    • Posted

Yes at times.  Usually out of breath.  Sometimes it feels like a clenched fist in the center of my chest.  The clenched fist feeling happens when I have not eaten for a long time.  Being unable to breathe or feeling short of breath happens with gas buildup, bloating and burping.   Not sure if what I eat causes this or if my anxiety does but the feeling is the same regardless.  Originally when first diagnosed with GERD I had no pain but could not swallow and would choke.  I lost 30 lb because I was on a liquid only diet.  About a year after GERD diagnosis I would get the heart attack like pain and nothing seemed to help except time and uping my PPI's.  Mostly I only get that pain on rare occasions anymore if I do something stupid like taking pain meds on an empty stomach.  My symptoms that concern me the most is feeling out of breath.  Eating a banana will bloat me up and make me burp 3 times a minute.  Sometimes the pressure just keeps building up and I cant burp but it feels like I need to.  Eventually, I will make a huge burp and I feel fine and can breathe again.  We are talking one single banana on an empty stomach.  Seriously I have no idea what to eat anymore because the stuff that would cause me trouble in the past does not bother me at all yet other things I thought would be safe do.

• Posted

Maybe you have an ulcer,  My sister has an ulcer and she cannot eat a banana it causes her terrible pain
  • Posted

Hi Marvin

20,years is a long time to be suffering, have you been on ppi all the time?

• Posted

I was on PPI's for the first eight years until I developed joint problems in my mid 30's.  After that I started to take them on and off as needed.  Usually a month on or off at a time.  I had to have my gallbladder removed five years ago and found that I no longer needed PPI's at all.  So I was free from PPI's for 5 years.  What changed though is that my joint pain was easy to agitate at work.  I ended up taking a high dosage of prescribed naproxen that seemed to have messed me up a lot.  The stomach issues returned along with stupid amounts of anxiety.  Just trying to balance my symptoms out.  I don't like being on PPI's all the time and the fact that I can eat tomatoes and onions but not bananas is not making sense from my past experiences, 

• Posted

Really strange that you can eat tomatoes and onions, they are usually off the list, hope you find relief soon
  • Posted

I had suffered all these symptoms and was diagnosed with inflamed esophagus and a sliding hiatal hernia! Bananas always effect me like this! I am feeling great since taking Omprezole, strict diet ,no caffeine, no spices, no alcohol! Stress is the biggest issue and I walk away from it as much as possible! Elevate upper body to sleep! I take vitamins calcium, D3, B12 all needs when on PPI. Try taking magnesium in pill form. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.