Band fills with help of X-ray?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has had to be xrayed while having their band filled?

Had my band October last year, it's been punctured by a locum doctor so I've had it replaced 3 weeks ago.

Been twice now and they now can't find the port as its in a different place and deeper in!

Got to go back to them once more and if not up have to travel 2 hours to be xrayed by someone else while filled!

Please help! X

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes ive had it done twice. There were suspicions of a leak and the port has flipped.

Its not as bad as it sounds. I was nervous about getting it done too.

Your gowned up ( so remember hospital knickers lol)

You stand up first and they put the xray machine in front of your tummy. You will prob have to have a drink with dye to see where it goes as it goes down.

It doesnt hurt at all its more inconvenient that theres a problem with your band!

Ive got to go back into replace the port. I have no leaks apparently. Even tho i have 11ml in a 10mlband and no restriction whatsoever. Apparently!

Good luck you will be fine 😊

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!

Oh that's a shame about having your band redone as well, when did you have your original op and do you know how it happened?

Is there much radiation in this and did it take long in your experience?

I'm hoping it won't come to it, I've got no restriction either, so more annoyed that I'm wasting time and having to start again after I've only just got my head around it all!

When is your op? X

• Posted

Ive only had it since jan. And lost absolutly nothing as ive never had restriction. Even tho they are telling me my band is apparently full!

How about you? How long have you had yours?

Op is in august. So another 4 weeks wait and ive started putting on weight!!

Xx

• Posted

I had my band 3_years ago but had no joy because wasn't given fills etc. Then when fill was agreed couldn't locate port and needed X-ray but then found portsite needed adjusting so had to wait for a date for that.

Was finally adjusted in may and had 3ml filled at same time which has seemed to help.

Like Rumblytumbly said it doesn't hurt just inconvenient

• Posted

Had mine end of October last year, had lost 5.5 stone, since it had been punctured and was leaking early May I have put in half a stone and it's so hard! I've gone from eating very little to being able to eat what I like, I've been good it's just my portions at dinner are larger because I'm hungry!

Keep positive, when it works it really does work!

Also with the second op, if your surgeon does the same, I wasn't pumped of gas this time as it was just changing the port so I didn't have any trapped wind in my chest which I found was the worst part the 1st time!

I would just say for the second op, allow the same amount of time off of work/usual activities xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reassurance!

Yes I think it's more the incovenience!

I'm just wondering what kind of X-ray it is and about radiation?

I do dental X-rays at work and I think the more you know is not a good thing sometimes! X

• Posted

Yes i was going to ask you about that.

At the moment they insist nothing is wrong with the band ( even tho i can eat anything in large amounts 😖) and are just replacing and moving the port.

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, I had my op at end of March. Only had one fill and that, and any subsequent fills, was done under X ray. I had my op on NHS and all fills are X ray guided. It is painless and takes about twenty minutes and the great benefit is that the Radiologist can actually see how loose/tight the band is and fill accordingly. Okay, so there is the radiation aspect but I reckon that the risk of radiation is much less than the risk of being 8 stone overweight.

Its a pain for you that you have to travel so far. Hope it gets sorted soon. Best of luck!

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your challenges - really hope they get sorted soon for you - all the best and keep us posted as to how you are doing!

best of luck

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.