Bandage removal after Scarf Akin and Middle to straightened with K wire.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Its 9 days since op, I was told by surgeon 'see you in 2 weeks' but having to wait 3 weeks as there are no appointments.  I feel the need to look at my foot soon and before the clinic removes the bandage.  Has anyone dared to remove them carefully for a peak, and of course put them back again?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I am guilty of this.iI didn't do it the first time as I was too scared. Then when they took it off, the first time, it was stuck and they were not that gentle.  This is my second lot of surgery (scarf, akin and weil's osteotomies) I knew my bandage was stuck where the wounds had bled. I took it off myself - completely on Tuesday - one week and one day after surgery.  I have kept it dry but left it open. I might get told off tomorrow when I am due to see the practice nurse.  Oh well!
  • Posted

Ok thanks Anna.  I'm thinking of just a peak and putting it back again.  As you have the same Weil for middle toe, did you have a K wire.  I think this is rubbing on top of my foot sort of middle part.  I can't work out of its that or just mending.  Can you tell me where the K wire goes on foot, I can only feel it at the end of my toe.  Also please let me know what the clinic say about your removal?  Don't know why I should wait 3 weeks, maybe that's how long the k wire has to stay on my toe!
  • Posted

I don't have a K wire. I have screws, pins and a staple but no K wire.  I will let you know how I get on. 
  • Posted

Hello..

If you have a wire or pin then I would definitely not take of the dressing off. If you move the pin or wire then it can have a detrimental effect on your recovery and ultimately the position of your toes long term.

plus when the nurse took off my dressings at 2 weeks I nearly passed out....

I had 6 pins in and each one was about two inches long....

• Posted

Hello Barbara.

Don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bandage has been put on in a spoecial way.

You will very likely also have a special layer of dressing underneath it which has been applied prior to the bandage itself.

It is there for a very good reason. To protect the wound.

I fully understand that you will bve curious to see your new foot. But you really must not remove the bandage. The clinic nurse or your consultant will need to very gently remove it with special scissors and take it off your foot very carefully as there will be congealed blood from the wound which very likely will have got stuck to the dressing. To start pulling this away from your wound could interfere and dislodge the alignment of your toe and if there is dried blood attached to the dressing it may feel a little uncomfortable as the dressing is removed. The staff at the hospital are experienced in removing such dressings and know how to go about it.

So, promise me that you will leave well alone.

Three weeks may sem a long time to wait. But, by then your foot should be healing nicely encased in the secure dressing.

Don't start meddling where you have no experience. Ha, ha!

The only time you should consider asking for your foot to be uncovered ( and not to do it yourself under any circumstances) is if there is severe pain, suspected infection etc or, if the dressing should become insecure and loose. The hospital will happily change the dressing for you.

The new dressing will be put on in the special criss-cross way that it has to be applied.

I am an experienced bunion patient and so I do think I know a bit about the post op procedure.

Good Luck.

Gillian

• Posted

Thanks Gillian.  Deep down I know it would be the wrong thing to do, though I wouldn't have taken off the under dressing. I am getting sharp pains from the top of my foot, think it's below 2nd 4th toes, thought it might be the K wire sticking into my skin.  This is taking longer than I expected, I was told before op but it's only until you experience this that you can understand.  If it gets u comfortable I might go to A&E or doctors.  The clinic won't see me for another 12 days.
  • Posted

I've just looked on Internet to learn about this K wire!  Didn't know it went right through my toe and is about 2 or 3 inches long!  Now I know the cause of the pain at the top of my foot, all I have to do is make sure I don't bend it!
  • Posted

I had to wait for three weeks but due to pain and heat I ended up going back after one week to have it re dressed as original cast and bandage was too tight! I preferred the protection of the bandages though!
  • Posted

I have managed to keep the dressing on, but have had to tidy it up several times, and replaced the extra one over my k wire toe.  The dressing has been very annoying, itchy, sticky, like a sock that doesn't fit.  

So tomorrow I will see my foot for the first time in three weeks.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.