Banding success story

Posted , 6 users are following.

I wanted to share my successful rubber band ligation story in the hopes that it might help those, like me, that have had concerns about this treatment.

I was diagnosed last year with three late Grade 2/early Grade 3 internal hemmorrhoids. Bear in mind, this took me close to 6 years of ignoring it, playing it down and scouring the Internet for solutions before I finally plucked up the courage to get it looked at (I had terrible fear of examination pain, fear of the treatment, fear of it being something worse etc.). Right off the bat, I wish more than anything that I had gone in sooner because I suffered unnecessarily both physically and mentally for no good reason. So just get in there folks!

I had the standard and most common rubber band ligation treatment (I'm not sure if it has a specific name) on three separate occasions by a colorectal surgeon in his office. He didn't recommend any of the other treatment options that I had heard of, nor did he offer them, simply because, in his experience, the success rate was high with the traditional method and it has been around for many years. I had done so much research but at the end of the day, I put my trust in him to take care of me.

The procedure itself was extremely quick. I had to kneel on one of those tables with my rear up in the air, he put in some contraption (I think it was an anoscope), he pinched the hemmorrhoid so that I could feel a slight pinch (this did not hurt) and did so again until I couldn't feel it - this allowed him to know exactly where to deploy the rubber bands without causing pain. Once the bands were on, I felt a certain level of uncomfortable pressure but not really pain as such. I was able to walk just fine. Sitting was mostly fine too.

The first two hours became more uncomfortable but I took Tylenol and it soon took the edge off. I could have had a stronger pain relief prescription but didn't feel it was necessary. Peeing initially was difficult but that was more to do with the fact that I was tense and found it difficult to relax down there. The second and third treatments were not really a problem on that front.

I was nervous for the first bowel movement but once it finally came the next morning, it really didn't hurt at all. I was quite surprised! I'd say that after about 48 hours, the most amount of discomfort had passed and then it was just something I was aware of but didn't really notice much in my day to day life.

For a few days afterward, there was some very light blood upon wiping. On the final treatment, I had a few days of a clear discharge that eventually went away after about a week - the doc said it was probably just from the hemmorrhoid as it withered away.

There was zero blood once it came off but honestly, I have no idea when any of the three came off. All I know is that I went back four weeks after each session for a check up and they had all gone.

I'm now almost two months past the final treatment and everything is more or less normal (though I have no memory of what normal was before all this started!). I still have a sensation after some more constipated bowel movements which I'm told may happen as the various sites are still technically healing. Otherwise, I am utterly amazed at how easy the whole process was and how seemingly successful it was.

I know folks have had it much worse than me so my thoughts do go out to you all in your own personal journeys. For those that may be in similar situations to me, I recommend that you find someone that you can trust and feel comfortable with. I loved my doc perhaps more than any doc I've ever seen before. That makes a huge difference in terms of trust and comfort levels. And if you still fear the treatment, try to just do some meditation and breathing exercises about a week or two beforehand, visualize and focus on success, not what you're afraid of. It'll help you relax mentally for what is, in all honesty, a perfectly manageable treatment option. And this is coming from someone that spent years fixating and worrying. I only wish I had done it sooner!

Good luck to you all.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your story! Can you describe what your pain was like before the procedure? Also did you have painful BM's before? I have a potential banding appt but I'm trying to decide whether banding or surgery might be better. I've had them for more than 4 years and today the pain is unbearable. I've put this off way too long. Your story gives me hope.

• Posted

I've also had banding and my pain before surgery was like my hemorrhoids were being crushed by something very heavy. That was the worst feeling, which would happen after defecating, although not every time to the same extent, and last for several hours. I also would feel like I was being poked with something sharp if I was sitting when the hemmorrhoid was prolapsed. After having just one done those sensations almost completely went away.

• Posted

I would try the banding first, it does work if your hems aren't prolapsed or grade 4. I've been bragging on here about the CRH O'Regan system, I'm not sure if it's available to you. The discomfort after was slight, not even Tylenol needed (for me anyway), and for the rest of the afternoon after having it done all I felt was mild pressure in the anal area. I, too, waited years and years to even have that done. I'm on day 14 post-op Hemorrhoidectomy and I wish I had done the banding ages ago so that it hadn't gotten to the point of needing surgery. The first week after surgery is pure hell, I'm finally feeling like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. My advice is to not put it off - try the lesser invasive option first. Good luck!

• Posted

So you did the CRH O'Regan procedure and it didnt work and you needed full surgery?

• Posted

I did do the CRH O'Regan procedure. It worked on a few smaller internal hems, but not the prolapsed. As long as the internal aren't too large, it really does work which is why waiting too long will often require surgery in the end. My surgery included 2 columns which also took care of the prolapsed hem, along with others that were larger internally. The prolapsed was the worst for me, which is the main reason I had the surgery.

• Posted

I went through the same thing you did, trying every option available because I simply didn't want to feel uncomfortable with a Dr staring at my backside and my hems. I'm so glad you are feeling better and that the banding worked for you. Finding someone you trust and feel comfortable with is key, I couldn't agree more!

• Posted

Hello!

Thank you so much for sharing your story! it's sooooo helpful and I truly appreciate your openness and honest feedback. Couple questions for you:

Were your hems prolapsed before the procedure?

Did you get the CRH O'Regan banding or the regular rubber banding?

Thank you for your time, have a great day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.