Bankart Lesion Shoulder Repair Urgent Question!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I had recently (5/ 30/18) gotten bankart lesion surgery done on my right shoulder due to having my shoulder dislocate continuously... the surgery itself went fairly well, the first few days I was in pain primarily from the stiffness and stitches from the surgery which is generally supposed to be normal. However, roughly 5 days after my surgery I slowly started to wear my sling less and less since it started to irrate my elbow, my doctor had advised me to wear it for about two to three weeks but me being impatient I decided to do things my own way rolleyes  everything was fine until today morning, my mother had a few groceries placed on the front door and I insisted to help even though she warned me not to, after I helped I noticed a sharp pain on my right shoulder.... (I only carried heavy bags with my left shoulder and very light bags with my right arm) now if I try to slightly move my right shoulders but  at certain times a sharp pain at times follows the movement (not always).. my question is...is it possible that I had just internally messed up the whole surgery itself somehow? I’m making sure to be much more careful now and will try to never take the sling off until a while... lesson learned for me. If anyone may please help it’ll be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your pain. And I am not sure I am the one to be answering the question because I’m not quite sure exactly what kind of surgery you had? I had a rotator cuff tear 95%, repaired with some calcium deposits on the back of my shoulder. Yours sounds more like it was dislocated not sure if it was torn as well or if it was a similar  surgery as mine. However one thing I learned from reading here is if the doctor tells you to wear a sling or immobilizer, for a certain amount of time, you do it. I wore my immobilizer for 6 weeks 24/7 never taking it off except to have my daughters help me wash & change.  And even then I had it resting on a table in a bent position. Sure my elbow was sore because it was rubbing I put bag balm on that every day to help. Maybe start icing a lot resting it and when you see the doctor tell them! Btw-  my surgery was January 30, I’m four months post stuff, and I am actually doing quite well moving it sleeping better etc.  Good luck!

• Posted

Have you started physical therapy yet?   If so, be sure to mention it to your therapist.  He should be able to do a decent evaluation.   If not, when is your next doctor appointment?   You are not alone, many, including me, became so irritated with wearing the sling we started taking it off.  I only released mine while I was sitting and resting my arm on a pillow on my lap.  That being said, I am not aware of your type of surgery, but I agree with Mia, rest  rest rest and ice ice ice. Don't move your shoulder.   It could just be strained.  No matter what kind of surgery you had, everything in your shoulder is irritated  and  it wouldn't take much to disturb the tissues and tendons etc.  Personally, and I'm no expert, I would think if you tore something it would hurt all the time.  I retore mine (4-5 months after surgery) and it hurt like hell all the time whether I was moving my arm or not.  Good luck friend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.