Barefoot

Posted , 4 users are following.

At 12 weeks post op, how much walking around barefoot should I be doing? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

I am 10.5 weeks post op and I have been told to just get back to normal. So I think you can do as much as you want! I found it odd at first and limped a bit but now don't notice any difference from before the surgery. The only thing is to wear flat shoes still. 

Best of luck! 

• Posted

Still wearing flat shoes. Wouldn't want to try anything else. Bought new biker type boots with a chunky sole and heel which give good support. C an walk around fine but been getting a bit of pain in one feet and wasn't sure if I was putting too much pressure on it. Thought that walking bare foot might also help with the big toe and the next one which I had hammer toe surgery on settle a bit flatten a bit as they are still raised. That foot is still feeling a bit stiff also whereas the other one is absolutely great! Thanks for yours advice
    • Posted

I have a recumbent bike (3 wheeler) with 20 speeds which I ride.  I wouldn't consider riding a regular bike until the foot is much stronger.  I also put in a shoe insert (light stiff metal) to keep extra pressure off my toe when I ride my bike.  I only ride with light resistance and for a short distance but I still have pain when I finish.  LONG, painful process.
    • Posted

You are right! I found the first weeks to be much, much better than I had ever dreamt. But the last few weeks have been more irritating than I have expected! Was expecting to have very little in the way of side effects by now!  Just need to keep 'plodding' along! 
  • Posted

Hi karen,

I'm 11 weeks post-op and I stil find it very difficult to walk barefoot...still feels like there is a marble under my big toe joint.  I found a solution.  I swim every day which helps my toe get more flexibility and I walk a few laps and the water supports my foot.  Try it, i think it will help.  Good luck!

• Posted

That sounds uncomfortable. I have been to the gym for the first time today and have used the cross trainer which was fine. The physio suggested walking along the bottom of the pool to help with flexibility also so guess that this must be a good idea. Am looking forward to going swimming but still have one scabby bit left and have been advised that shouldn't go swimming until all completely clear. Didn't expect that would still have scabs so far after op. Keep up the good work and thanks for the advice 
  • Posted

I'm 12 weeks post op too and suffering tremedously with pain. So much so that I have been referred back to my consultant. 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that. Best to go back to the consultant.  Has this been ongoing or has it got worse? I did not have any significant pain. However, this last week , and in particular over the last few days, I have had a lot of pain where the bunion was on one foot. Does this sound similar to you? The other is fine. Could be where the pin is but I am not sure. I am going back to see the consultant next week. Should have been tomorrow but, unfortunately, he is on holiday. ParticuLrly concerned cos going on holiday in 2 weeks! When do you have your appointment? 
    • Posted

I never had pain before my surgery, nor for the first Few weeks, well not as such. But since I have been mobile, driving, walking etc I am experiencing pain around my toes. My big toe is cocked and I get discomfort arond the old bunion area. My appointment is not till the 30th and still no appointment for physio since my referral 6 weeks or more ago! 
    • Posted

Hi Beanie. This sounds a little bit like me. I had very little pain in the first weeks but since I have been more mobile I have had pAin around the bunion area and sometimes the big toe joint and even the other toes on one foot. I have also had some pain in my ankle. The other foot has been fine. My big toe is also still sticking up but has settled a bit over the last few weeks. My second toe had hammertoe surgery and it is still raised but again has settled a bit over the last few weeks

I saw the consultant yesterday. He said that it can take many weeks to settle. By 3 months you should be getting around fairly well but can be 6 months plus before everything is as it should be. The pain is not unusual and this can be linked to doing more. I have another appointment in 3 months and the expectation is that everything should be fine by then. This made me feel a lot more confident. I trust his judgement. Hope that this helps with your confidence although it will be interesting to hear what your consultant has to say. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.