Baritric surgery refused

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been refused gastric band due to my portal hypertension?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes they can refuse youbas this condition increases the chance of heamoragging if anything is knicked while doing the procedure so that in itself will put them off but also placing a device that constricts around the tummy will increase the pressure in the wall of the tummy also causing all the portal veins which run to very vital organs in the body to increase also. So would be like placing a bomb inside and hitting a slow detonation button as such.

Really not worth the risk in all fairness for yourself or the surgeon.

• Posted

To my understanding and NICE protocol a band will through time will reverse portal hypertension in less than one in a thousand and if no portal hypertension/bleeding varices are present surely the band should be carried out ??
    • Posted

I can only tell you what i know. Portal hypertension comes in 3 categories so when they diagnosed you they would have told you what one you were and possibly what caused it too. It varies but if its caused by cirrohsis of the liver then i dont thibk you can reverse it no matter how much weight is lost. I know some private surgeons will take a risk if you have the lowest form but when researching they wont do the band they do the bypass and its called Roux-en-Y gastric bypass as this does not act like a restriction around the tummy. Although alot of surgeons do think doing a bypass makes the cirrohsis worse etc etc. There is alot of grey area to this so i think thats why the surgeons do not take the risk.

Did you ask your surgeon why and what did they say?

• Posted

OK your reply makes more sense regarding portal hypertension, my pht was through alcohol I had bleeding varices but I'm sober

now have been for 6 years obv if I could turn back time I would 👌

• Posted

The presence of bleeding varices would probably have completed the decision even if they are not present now they have been so the weakness is there.

Congrats on being 6 years sober its a huge achievement.

If you can do that you can do anything as shows you have great willpower.

We all do things we regret in life. I hope you find something that works for you regarding the weight loss. X

• Posted

stevon29432,  sorry to hear that.  You may try later when there would no more conflict on portal hypertension.
    • Posted

Hi Arabella,do you know when I can try again is there a time limit set? Thank you ☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.