Barium Swallow?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Has anyone ever had a Barium Swallow xray test done?

4 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The worst thing about it is drinking the stuff cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hello Amanda no I haven't had that test done but I have chest X-ray and scan but they couldnt find anything I am on meds for my acid reflux but I am having to go back to gp as for the last 4 days it has been really bad this morning had woke up with a burning sensation all the why up my chest I was in so much pain that when I coughed I started to cry hope you feel better soon xx
    • Posted

Hi Julie,

That is surprising that they couldn't find anything when you are in so much pain.  Maybe you need different medication?  Are you on anything for acid reflux at the moment?  I hope that they get it sorted for you and you are best going back to the doctors and to get them to look into.  Thank you, hope that you get better soon too xx

• Posted

Hi Amanda yes I have been on lansoprazole and now I am on a different tablet called ranitidine but they don't seem to be helping at all so I have appointemt with the gp next week hope they can do something as it is starting to affect my daily life xxx
    • Posted

Hi Julie,

I hope they get your sorted too. I am sure they should try you on some different medication that maybe could be stronger and work better for you.  It is a pain having problems like this because as you say it does affect your daily life and not being able to socliaise etc.  I just want to be able to eat out and have the odd glass of wine now and then!  How did you start with these problems? Mine was just from taking some steroids that were uncoated from when I had a chest infection before Christmas time!

Amanda xx

• Posted

Hi Amanda yeah mine started about December last year I had a cold to I throught it was just because I had been coughing quite a bit as I was drinking fresh orange juice to help with my cold it must have been to much acid from the juice and my smytoms started then I for about few days I went to see my gp as I was in pain xx
    • Posted

Hey Amanda and Julie, did you guys ever get this sorted?  I have the same exact symptoms!  Omeprazole doesnt help at all and all I eat is liquid foods. Solid foods feel like they get stuck in my throat and thus trigger acid reflux.  They want me to have the barium swallow but I am so fearful of consuming a toxin with the possibility of no answers.  I am so happy I found people with the same problems, please any insight you can give me would be really appreciatedwink   
    • Posted

If you don't want a toxin why not have an endoscopy that gives a better result anyway as they can take biopsies at the sme time.
    • Posted

hey derek, yeah I already had the endoscopy, they didn't find anything. The doctor says they can pick up more things with a barium swallow.  Do you know of any other tests that can pick up narrowing of the esophagus?
    • Posted

I would imagine that CT or MRI would also need some sort of contrast dye to show things up. Nowadays they can do a CT virtual colonoscopy and I believe that involves a contrast dye

One of my uncles many years ago had a narrowing of his esophagus

that they had to stretch.

• Posted

I've just had the barium swallow today was ok nothing to bad tasted like thick gloop better than having the tube down ur throat altho they didn't find anything when I had that done was choking & being sick & felt like a dyson cleaner going down ,was very tender for a few days after. Now got to wait for another hospital appointment to see if there's anything wrong 
    • Posted

It is usually a doctor who does it. I always express interest in the procedure and ask about what is showing on the screen and come away with the answer.
    • Posted

My GP told me that there is now a CT scan version as an alternative to endoscopy but of course it can't take any samples.
    • Posted

I wish I'd had the ct scan Never again only had the throat spray &as u said u do get answers there & then which is good .. I'm wondering if I have this globus sensation something to do with anxiety..
    • Posted

Anxiety and the stomach go hand in hand.
    • Posted

Did you ever get rid of the feeling of lump in throat? I had an endoscopy and ever since I have had that feeling it is driving me crazy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.