barium swallow

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi i have now been booked in for a barium swallow just wondering if anyone has had this done

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, years ago. It didn't involve anything more traumatic than fasting overnight, then drinking a beaker of stuff that tasted disgusting while I stood on a kind of movable platform. Then they X-rayed me while tilting me into different positions. Didn't take long, and no after-effects - apart from recognising the stuff on the way out!

Having experienced both, I can only say I'd prefer this to endoscopy any day.

• Posted

I had one recently and it was nothing! The drink is better than years ago! It's like a milkshake but slightly thicker! I had an endoscopy two weeks later and that was nothing! They sedate you and in 20 min. U are awake! No side effects, no numbing! They spray

your throat while you are sleeping and it's fine before you wake Up! Believe me I am a big baby and I can say neither one was bad! Nest of luck and dont be freaked

• Posted

I'm a big baby, too, but it's the idea of NOT knowing what's happening that bothers me. Know thyself, I guess.

I can only say that, for me, being awake ( unsedated ) suited me fine. I'd no idea what I was seeing but found it quite reassuring to be given a guided tour of my gut. The NHS staff were lovely and said I was their easiest patient that morning.

• Posted

If I ever had to have another gastroscopy - which I devoutly hope I never do - I'd insist on staying awake too. I wasn't given a choice, got a half-dose of sedation (as I was over 65) which didn't work, just made me agitated, but the staff assumed I wouldn't remember anything afterwards, so went ahead anyway.

Sedation is absolutely fine if you're under 65 (60 in some hospitals) because you'll get a full dose and won't remember a thing. For older people it's hit-and-miss: some remember nothing, some are less fortunate.

• Posted

Yes, on Wed. It's not that bad; they have improved the taste and consistency a lot since the last time I had it done.  Doensn't ake bot a few minutes.  First, they have you standing and take a big gulp of the liquid.  Then they have you lie down and drink some and swallow as fast as you can.  That was it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.