Barium Swallow and PH tests advice please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi - started with acid reflux a few months ago. Had an endoscopy which revealed mild gastritis. On Ezomprazole now and it has really helped though it hasnt got rid of it totally. Im now left with symptoms which come and go such as sore throat, sore tube, throat clearing, some acid sometimes, etc. I am due to go back to the doctors this Friday and would like to ask for the Barium Swallow and 24 Hour PH tests. Can my doctor refer me for these or does he have to refer me to the hospital for assessment first? Also which department conducts these tests - ENT or a different one? I am assuming after I have had these done I will find out if my LPR is working correctly and also how much stomach acid i am producing? if these are clear will they put it down to stress as there is no medical reason for the reflux???? thanks x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor can send you for Barium 
    • Posted

Im in two minds as to what to do. its been ten weeks in total since i started the meds and i am better. i dont know whether to give it a bit longer or just ask now

• Posted

I had both test a couple of months ago. The B Swallow is to see if there is anything more serious going on like an ulcer. It was like drinking thick paint mixed with chalk. My result showed nothing serious going on with my stomach lining. It will leave you constipated for several days after. Tge PH test was less complexing..taste kinda like lemonade. You beathe into a small bag wait 15min then repeat into a different small bag after waiting 15 min between. My result was normal no bad bacteria was detected in stomach. Hope tgat helped some.
    • Posted

Ive had an endoscopy so im assuming these would be the next set of tests. what was the outcome with you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.