Barium Swallow with Upper GI

Posted , 7 users are following.

My Doctor has scheduled a Barium Swallow with Upper GI.  If you have this procedure did you experience any side effects. 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had 2 of them the last year.  Is just xrays taken from your upper chest while you drink a solution.  In my personal opinion, they do not help much because my last one was perfect which is far away for what they found on my endoscopy 1 week later.
    • Posted

Btw, no side effects. ;-)
    • Posted

Mine too. Only found a little delay in E.G. Junction? I had 3 of them done. Two ones with the yucky contrast and the other was a different kind, I had to eat stuff while doing it. Different name
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your speedy response. My procedure is tomorrow. Do you mind sharing what they found using the endoscopy? If you do I completely understand. I've been having digestive issues but my colonoscopy did not show any blockage. I'm almost convinced it was the problem was caused by Amlodipine. 

• Posted

Yes, they found reflux but they are not sure if is from acid or bile (maybe both) and barrets (mild).   I actually have no tummy issues besides bloating, I have chest pain, rib-cage pain and lack of air every single which for 3 years they said it was the reflux and now are saying is not from reflux.  I have to believe is gluten sensitivity creating this pain and lack of air.

• Posted

Did the procedure. No side effects at all.Stu
  • Posted

Had them all. Side effects are almost nothing. Upper GI you might have a sore throat because they put you to sleep and usually put a tube down the throat. And they are putting the scope down as well. Barrium swallow, drink a lot after the test because it will help flush the dye/contrast out of your system. And your stool will be white. That's if they use contrast. What's your symptoms now? I have found a few things to help with tummy issues

• Posted

My procedure is my procedure is tomorrow but they did not mention that I would be sedated and no scope down at this time. My symptoms would feel like I have something stuck in my digestive track and burning as well. These symptoms have declined since I stopped taking Amlodipine. Please share what you found to help your tummy issues. 
    • Posted

the sedation or scope for a barium swallow, but yes for an endoscopy.
  • Posted

My upper GI (endoscopy) I was sedated and they found I have gastritis. See I have no symptoms, except for most of the time a feeling that there is something stuck in my throat. They said I have silent reflux. Personally I have no idea, Because I can eat whatever I want spicy or not And someday sits there but not others. I take Zantac 150mg 2 x a day. That helps I think, but I have allergies too, so my sinuses drain and get stuck I think. The barrium swallows, 1?showed up a delay in my E.G. Junction? And the other nothing. Don't be afraid. They will take good care of you and I will answer anything you ask.

• Posted

Thank you, Jacqui. I'm on my way to take test. I will let you know what they find. 

• Posted

How did it go? How are you feeling? Did you have them both today?
    • Posted

Hi Jacqui, I had to reschedule because I was given incorrect prep information.  It is just as well because I'm battling a very tough sinus infection. I may have it next week but if I'm not clear of this infection I will probably delay a couple of weeks.  Thanks for all your help.  I will definitely let you know when it happens and how it goes. 

• Posted

I'm sorry. I hope you feel better soon. Let us know.

• Posted

Hi, I feeling much better. I had the barium Swallow this morning. Thanks for all the encouragement. It was easier than I imagined.  Doctor said I did great!  No results but I'm much better now that my doctor changed my blood pressure med from Amlodipine to Losartan. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.