Barometric pressure

Posted , 7 users are following.

can someone please explain to me how the barometric pressure affects our pain. I have good days and bad days so I always go on to see what the barometric pressure is . but it doesn't mean anything to me. I've Been Told that it was the change in the barometric pressure that could bother RA but doesn't the barometric pressure change on a constant basis? was I told wrong is it when it goes up instead or when it goes down? Please help me to understand this.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi i have the same question. i was recently on holiday and colder damp days was in agony no bend in knees at all. also some foods like cheese really seem to cause pain. Any anwers would be great.

• Posted

That's an interesting question! I went to Australia for Christmas around 7 years ago and temperatures were around 39 degrees. My joints were so bad that I spent most of the 8 weeks in an air conditioned house. My Rheumatologist told me it was the difference in air pressure. I have never even googled this to see why. Perhaps I will do it now so I can help you.

It would be good to find out.

Take care of yourself, Elspeth xxx

• Posted

Hi, just looked at a blog on the Arthritis Foundation website about weather and arthritis pain. Hope it helps,

Regards Elspeth xxx

• Posted

this is what I found...

Dr. Starz believes at least some of the increased pain comes from decreased activity. “We know that physical activity relieves arthritis pain. ... Changes in barometric pressure can cause expansion and contraction of tendons, muscles, bones and scar tissues, resulting in pain in the tissues that are affected by arthritis.Jun 20, 2017

• Posted

Hi Elspeth! I've been suffering from RA for the past 27 years. My rheumy actually prescribed a move south from lower mainland BC because it was so humid and dank. When the humidity rises, so does my pain, but the fluctuation of the barometric pressure seems to cause the worst discomfort. So I moved to Mexico for warmth on my bones, and it was the best move I ever made. I live on the west coast, so the humidity does bother me in the summer when it becomes sultry and moist. However, in those months, I move inland, and it's heaven. Besides, I don't spend oodles of cash on two wardrobes, just don a light sweater in the evenings. The cheaper cost of living isn't that much of a draw any more because I live in a tourist area most of the year (same cost as in Canada except for housing). My future looks bright as I seek a "forever home" inland, as the tourist attractions have gotten rather 'old' now. Nonetheless, I rarely suffer like I used to in BC, just the occasional flare which is managed with good drugs (haha). It's worth a thought for anyone who is bothered by the rise and fall of their barometer. 😃

• Posted

leegleze do you speak Spanish? I live in Kansas which is in the middle of the United States. we have a few customers that go to Mexico for the winter every year. I know one of our customers does not live in a tourist area so there is a language barrier and she does not speak Spanish. With you living in a tourist town I'm guessing that most Merchants speak English and Spanish. At least that's how I found it in Montréal, Canada when I visited.

• Posted

Hi! Yes, I speak enough Spanish to get by, but not as much as I'd like. Being an English teacher for lawyers, I spoke English exclusively to my students because that's the way they wanted it. You don't pick up much Spanish that way! LOL Merchants prefer to speak Spanish of course, but many will tell you that its just as impressive to them if you just TRY a little Spanish, even if it's not fully understood. The important thing to know if they try to speak English with you is that you speak very slowly. Yelling in their ear doesn't help, but sometimes they'll pick up the jist of what you're saying if you speak slowly enough. Some may appear rude because they don't want to engage in a conversation with a foreign speaker. They become embarrassed at their inability to speak YOUR language in THEIR country. Try to take just a few rudimentary lessons before you leave home.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.