Barrets just diagnosed

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just been diagnosed in the last few days it measures 5cm by 5cm they took 9 biopsies. Had never heard of barrets before should I be worried.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Visit the new Barrett's oesophagus UK directory at Barretts org uk.

Select "Useful Links" from the site contents menu on the left. That page will tell you which pages to read For Newly Diagnosed patients. The relevant pages are from the Barrett's Wessex website, linked to on the right of this page but accessible by going to www BarrettsWessex org uk.

Start by reading "Simply Put" (which you'll find in the drop down menu under the Tips tab.

Then progress to the Journey tab and follow the presentation given a few years ago by one of our consultant gastroenterologists. For the full picture, clicking on the Down With Acid tab will take you to the website of the free encyclopaedia in lay terms of everything you may want to know about acid, reflux, complications and management.

I have had Barrett's at least 23 years, probably much longer. It may be considered an untrustworthy friend. It is protecting your body from digesting itself but it does have the ability, in a very small number of cases, of mutating to cancer so it will need to be watched with surveillance scoping every few years.

You may private message me if you want any more specific information.

All the best

Chris

• Posted

Thank you just don't really understand it much yet things like does the size have a significant factor and the number of biopsies taken .

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I've just read that you have Barret's for over 23 years, i wonder for all those years are you taking PPI daily? Never miss it even if you don't have any symptomps anymore? Because i'm concern about the side effect of long term ppi. I've just diagnosed Barret's about 6 months ago.. Thank you Chris.. Hoping for your reply..

Regards,

Fonny

• Posted

Sorry, Fonny, only just seen this post.

I took PPIs daily for 15 years increasing to very high dose *0mg omeprazole for the last few. I then had a fundoplication (reflux reduction surgery) and no longer need to take medication.

Don't be over-concerned about side effects from long term use. You need to take the smallest effective dose. There are scare stories about possible side effects but most of them have been exaggerated by sensationalist press who don't understand the difference between causation and correlation.

They have been linked with heart problems. But those with heart problems are more likely to tae acid suppressants anyway. (My own father died of a heart attack when I was a young teen. He'd had acid reflux problems all his life and probably thought it was indigestion again - and that was before PPIs were even invented.. )

They have been linked with stroke. (My mother died of a stroke. She was also a lifelong sufferer of heartburn and, again, died before PPIs became available. )

They have been linked to kidney problems. (My own Barrett's was discovered when i was being investigated for kidney stones. I had persistent heartburn but had not even heard of PPIs at that time. )

If you visit the Barrett's Wessex website (linked to in the pain on the right, or by www BarrettsWessex org uk), you will find a page about "PPI dangers" in the drop-down from the Treatments tab, which discusses the acual findings of the research.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with barrets as well. That was 5 years ago, mine is short segment. Lots of biopsies, endoscopes - in the end, my Gastro is cautious and wants to keep an eye on things over my life time. Barretts can be in a small number of cases pre-cancerous, so professional care is always important over your life time.
  • Posted

Hi Agnes I really do understand that you may be feeling worried about your Barretts , which as the Barretts group have said could possibly have cells that may change as they have changed already to protect your eoesophagus. You need to try not to worry however as now you will be being watched and presumably been given something to control the acid you are producing. Not worrying is the worst part of this condition because it is hard not to associate every pain you have with perhaps a development of your Barretts but the symptoms I have occur after I have not been quite so careful with my diet e.g. Over Christmas and they are a flare up of my oesophagitis, for which I take a slightly higher dose of  Lanzoprazole.The last endoscopy I had showed a small area of Barretts, an ulcer on it, and confirmation of a hernia which is not helping to keep the acid I produce within my stomach.... That is why I take the Lanzoprazole.. To help stop the acid being produced , and along with watching my diet, hopefully things are being controlled. BUT I get an endoscopy every few years to check any changes with the Barretts and you need to make sure you get on this programme. Hope this helps and my understanding of my situation is correct... I am sure the very helpful Barretts blog will let you know.
  • Posted

What does it mean on your endoscopy report when it says barretts epithelium,Prague c5m5
    • Posted

The epithelium is the lining of the oesophagus where the Barrett's forms. The Prague protocol is a way of recording the size and shape of your Barrett's. Most Barrett's forms as an internal collar around the oesophagus. The c (circumferential measurement) number is the depth of this is centimetres. There may be tongues or irregularities that extend beyond this. The m number is the maximum length in centimetres.

Measurements are a bit crude. They are assessed by reading marks along the outside of the endoscope at the point where it enters the mouth and are based upon the visual assessment made by the endoscopist. (The presence / identification of Barrett's has to be determined by the histopathology of the biopsies taken. )

4 biopsies are usually taken (at the quadrants) every centimetre of the length of the suspected area.

• Posted

Thank you that makes things a lot clearer as I was worried about the amount of biopsies taken. Not so worried now .
  • Posted

Just got my biopsy results and all is fine. Thank you to everyone for their reassurance,will see my consultant at end of the month to find out how to go forward and how often I will need checkups.
    • Posted

Hi, 

I know what your going through, i had lots of biopsys mines is also 10 cm and they took right from my throat to the stomach. 

3 yearly check ups.

i guess we have to just get on with in and try and not worry too much. 

• Posted

Hi so glad all is ok.  I was diagnoised with Barretts several years ago it was not treated i too over the counter meds.  However 5 years ago i went in for my endoscopy and the doctor prescribed omeprazole. The doctor found that the omeprazole was efecting my bones after a bone scan he found that I had ostopenia and stopped the omeprazole.  Heis trying ranitidine.  Im waiting to hear from the doctor I have developed this awful couph. Hope he finds something I can take without all the awful side effects.  Check the intrnet on all side effects of these blockers. It will surprise you.  wondering if the meds are worth the long term risks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.