Barrett Dungy Need Expert Advice on Alcohol Consumption

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Guys, Firstly thumbs up for creating such a great forum where we can share our minor or a major health issue's and even can get a solution by highly professional advisors.

I am Barrett Dungy from California. I just came across to this forum for helping my friend who consumes alcohol on a daily bases. I've a friend named as Martin, we both works in a same company. He told me several times that he drinks a lots and infact everyday. This drinking habit has made him so embrased in front of everyone. His parents and well wisher always want him to change his habit but he is helpless.

I believe their must be some pill or a meditation may work here but dont know exactly the thing that we can do to help him changing this habit.

I am here requesting everyone to give your opinion and suggestion to get rid of this problem. Also kindly suggest some of the medicines that actually works without any side effects.

Your one reply may change the life of someone. Kindly do reply.

Many Thanks

Barrett Dungy

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey there...I'm surprised the moderator did not pull this post BECAUSE you posted your real first/last name?  Your crazy!  You really don't want to identify yourself on the internet...because someone can google your name (someone at work) and it COULD bring them to this site and that COULD blow Martins cover since he works in the same company as you - just saying...not trying to scare you but for future reference on ANY site...I have never posted my name or the name of friends, companies or family members.

I'm an alcoholic....I have chosen to QUIT and not drink at all.

However, there is a method and a medication that alot of people on the board use...and it works for them (The Sinclair Method) - Naltraxone.

I use Campral for cravings to not drink at all.

It sounds like your friend...since he is in a vicious cycle may want to try the Naltroxone method first (this would cut down his drinking first) and then he can decide if he wanted to quit altogether.

There is that type of help out there (pill) and the US gives it much more easily than the UK.  I could call my Dr. right now and ask for this prescription to be called in and they would GLADLY call it in...the US will do anything to KEEP someone from harming themselves with drinking....the UK....seems to be not very understanding of alcoholics (this is mainly a UK site).

You are a great friend to reach out to try and do something to help your friend.  Truly.  And best of luck...let us know what he decides.

• Posted

Hi Misey, I hardly use forums or even not revels my personal name. This is my fake name, I  just post with the name so that I can easily search for the topic that i've posted.

May I know from where I will get the Campral. Also can you please explain what is Naltroxone method. I've never heard about it.

• Posted

Here is a 5 minute read on a method that may help your friend, called The Sinclair Method.  This uses a long-approved, safe and non-addictive medication called naltrexone to help remove the endorphin rush that is released when your friend drinks and therefore breaks the reinforcement of this behaviour over some months.

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

If this is something that your friend may wish to look into further, you can google the US not-for-profit organisation C3 Foundation.  Once on their site, there is a link on the top menu called Find A Physician.

If you go from that Find A Physician page to 'verified TSM providers' you will find a US wide list of doctors in the US that fully understand and prescribe this FDA approved medication.  There are a number of doctors within the California area who do fully support this method, and have great success in the patients that they prescribe it to.

• Posted

Joanna, I have just come back from  my Docs and told her about the TSM method and Naltrexone and she frowned and said she had never heard of it and "to be very careful" when I said I was seriously thinking about doing it. 

I am in the UK and want to look into it further.  You say about Finding a Physician - my doctor actually said "these people are definitely not doctors" but obviously they are as you know what you are talking about.  How would I find a list of these guys here in the UK ?

Thanks for your help.

• Posted

Because the 2 medications for this treatent are approved and available on the NHS, there isn't a UK list because every NHS prescribing physician can prescribe it if they so wish.

It isn't known as The Sinclair Method on the NHS.

However, in each NHS area of the country, the local NHS Trusts have placed slightly different guidance for their GP's on who is the most appropriate to prescribe.  Some advise that GP's should be prescribing, and some advise that GP's  are best to refer a patient to the local alcohol services, for the prescribing physician to assess, prescribe and monitor.

If you PM me the town you live in, the county, and what your local NHS Trust is called (if you know it) then I can look up what the specific instructions are for your area.

(and to whom was your doctor referring to when you were told 'these people are defininely not doctors'?)

• Posted

Thanks for helping me out. I would talk to my friend and tell him about these methods. I hope this work and soon he gonna avoid alchohol. Let me know if their is anything else I can recommend him...
    • Posted

There really isn't much else barrett...an alcoholic is NOT like a normal drinker by any means.

Continued alcohol abuse only leads to 3 major things....Jail, Institutions or death.

Because of those 3 wonderful choices...an alcoholic only has only 3 choices.

1. Quit drinking altogether (either with or without drugs...I'm on Campral to stop cravings and thoughts of alcohol and it works well for me and I am not drinking AT ALL.).

2. Maintaining drinking levels (which is also controlled by drugs).

3. Keep drinking and end up in jail....in a hopsital due to some alcoholic condition or because the person needs detox or rehab....and then if the later 2 don't work....it will lead to his death.

• Posted

Barrett, there is a TEDx talk by Claudia Christian on Youtube, your friend might want to look at that too. I sent you a Private Message with the link.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.