Barrett's diagnosed after having gastric band for 8 years

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here today. Has anyone else developed Barrett's after a gastric band? I struggle to keep fluid down as well as food but more so fluids. It comes back seconds after drinking and I worry this has become a habit now. The band has been in 8 years now but in the last year this problem has developed. I also have a hiatus hernia which I don't know much about either. Can anyone give me any advice? The band hasn't been filled for 3 years so I'm not sure that's the issue. I've lost way too much weight now and am worrying no end. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had the same symptoms and mine turned out to b a slipped and. They discovered the hiatus hernia and Barrett's as well. I have a 7cm section with no dysplasia at the moment and they don't seem very concerned about any of it. I'm a public patient in Australia so I'm guessing that's why. I have to have endoscope surveillance every two years

• Posted

Thank you Bellahiggs for your reply, much appreciated. Did you have your band removed?? I'm guessing a public patient is like our NHS ( national health service , UK) I'm the same in that case. 

Are you ok now??

• Posted

Hi Sam

Yes I had it removed. I went to the hospital in the town I lived in after months and months of getting no where with gp and they finally referred me to the hospital. The hospital then spent more months doing testing etc and not coming up with the right answer. Asked to b referred to Brisbane hospital ...went on a Wednesday saw a surgeon who was very switched on and on the Friday of that week I was in having surgery to have the band removed. It had slipped and that was what was causing all the problems and mine had no fluid in it either. Hats when they discovers I had the hernia as well. And now I wait......I am over eight as well which doesn't help but I'm on the list to have surgery for that so they will do the hernia repair at the same time. The lists are from what I've been told as long as 6 years and all he will say is he will b happy if I have it done by the end of this year but won't guarantee it. Meaning....ur on the list u have to wait. Which doesn't make me feel very secure about the situation. If I had private health it wld all have been done already and if I get private health now I have to pay into it for over 12 months for pre existing medical problems so caught between a rock and a hard place really. Hope u get some attention asap cause it's a horrible feeling I was throwing everything up not even able to keep fluid down a lot of the time and lost a lot of weight(which over since put back on and more) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.