Barretts and Achalasia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have achalasia and due to a misdiagnosis years ago, have now also been told I have Barrett's esophagus disease. Anyone else been diagnosed with both and if so, what lifestyle changes, medicines, coping mechanisms have you taken??? I had the HM w/dor fundiplication in 2012 and have had several endoscopies to stretch my throat. 5yrs out and still have issues like I'm sure so many of you still suffer with.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

There is some information about Barrett's Oesophagus on the Action Against heartburn website, but the best source of advice is from Barrett's Wessex, who also have a website.

?Barrett's is associated with prolonged, severe reflux and is a reflection of changes in the cells lining the oesophagus apparently due to the exposure to the reflux.   Some people have a fundoplication or other procedures to try to reduce the reflux.

?Provided that there is no dysplasia and the Barrett's is stable and uncomplicated, the Barrett's may not be anything more than a situation that has to be monitored periodically.   The issue is how one can be reassured about it; it does need periodic biopsies to test for dysplasia or oesophageal adenocarcinoma.

?People with Barrett's often take PPI medication like Omeprazole but in your case it will all depend on how well your fundoplication works in keeping the reflux from rising into your oesophagus.   It does sound like your food does not always run through into your stomach smoothly.   The lower oesophageal sphincter should work as a valve to prevent the reflux coming up, and to allow food to go down and it is always difficult to strike the right balance in a fundoplication to try and re-create that efficiency.   A pH (ie acid) monitoring test might be worthwhile at some stage.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate immensely!
  • Posted

I'm sorry you developed that. I wish that I could elaborate. I wouldn't be telling you anything you don't already know. But give it a while. All types of people with Alchalasia post here and will help you. Take care.

DJRN

• Posted

I wish I could have been more of help. Please hang around. I enjoy your posts.

DJRN

• Posted

It's quite alright! I think we're all just looking for answers and support so I thank you for replying rather you have an answer to my question or not. I've been reading more on Barretts and im hoping I get the help I need. Thank you again~

• Posted

Hi I also have Barrett's and achalasia I was diognosed with Barrett's c5m3 last year and diognosed with type one achalasia just a few weeks ago . I've been on 80mg omeprazole a day for the last year which helps a bit however the chest pain is becoming horrendous. I go bk on the 21st June to find out what course of action they are going to take

• Posted

I wish you much luck and prayer. Hang in there. You'll be fine. One day you will look back on all of this as a "done that...been there!"

DJRN

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you too, have been diagnosed with both. I take 80mg of pantoptazole per day since being diagnosed with Barretts. It has helped quite a bit. I hope they find the best course of action for you in June.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.