barretts oesophagus + Acid Reflux

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello...

Please can anyone with information please help. Been suffering from acid reflux from the past 5 months. I struggle to swallow and sometimes experience shortness of breath. I also have been diagnosed with Barrett's...

I was on Trustin and unfortunately the meds isn't working. Does it ever get better?

xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Just to add to the above, here is the complete list of symptoms:

1. Problems swallowing
    2. lump in my throat
    3. buzzing sound in my head (brain scan normal)

Been reading about PPI's and I'm not only freaking out from symptoms but taking the meds as well.

• Posted

Try drinking cabbage juice first thing in the morning before coffee or breakfast for one month

• Posted

It gets a lot better if you manage your diet and habits.

How has your eating been regarding acidic foods, not over eating, not eating a few hours before bed... etc.

• Posted

@Mechwd, I'm way better than when I wrote this post. I follow the anti reflux diet and surprised how food makes all the different.

• Posted

Hope you don't mind if I jump in on this thread, rather than start a new one. Just after a little advice as I have a similar issue.

I have had reflux for years, mainly when I drank, where i'd wake up with acid in throat choking. Although it seems i must have had silent reflux most of the time without realising. I've probably had it since my teens (i'm 47 now). It never caused me too many issues when I hadn't been drinking, so I pretty much ignored it.

About 4 months ago I started to get the feeling like something was stuck in my throat. I also had some pain in the right side of my neck. The doctor prescribed me one 20mg of Omeprazole daily. This got steadily worse over the next couple of months and I eventually had an endoscopy. This showed oesophagitis, Barret's oesophagus, gastritis and a lax cardia.

I went back to my GP who upped the dose of omeprazole to 40mg. Once tablet, twice a day.

Since taking this for a further month or so, my symptoms have not improved. They have actually got worse. I don't have heartburn really but the feeling of something stuck in my throat is horrible.

I am eating better, eating at the right times, cut our caffeine (almost completely), chocolate, spicy foods, fatty foods etc.

It's depressing to have cut out all the good stuff in life and seen no benefit from it. For things to actually get worse rather than start to improve leaves you feeling like there isn't much hope going forward.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm open to anything.

Regards

Rob

• Posted

We don't mind at all Rob. I am still on a journey to healing. Some days are worse than others. If I don't see major improvement, I will seek out surgery as an alternative but I am hoping it doesn't get there.

• Posted

I feel for you Jesica, it's a nightmare. I'm willing to do anything, make any changes necessary. The hardest thing is knowing what to do and what works / doesn't work. My symptoms just seem to be there constantly. If I could pinpoint what made it worse or better (i wish) that would be a help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.