Barretts Oesophagus and taking Omeprazole

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last March 2017, i went for a endoscopy (previous to this say 2 years i had hiatus hernia), I was diagnosed with Barretts Oesophagus, im taking 20mg of omepazole a day plus ranitidine at night, i get food stuck in throat quite regularly, recently I have had real trouble swalloing my pills and this also feels they are getting stuck, does anyone know if these come in any othere way? i,e liquid or disssolvable. I also had tonsillitis 3 weeks ago and still got a sore throat which i think is affecting my ability to swallow but doesnt seem to be going away so now worried this is turning into Barretts. Thanks all.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucia. I was diagnosed with barrets about 2 years ago had ulcers which healed with omeprazole40 mg and I have to get a scope every 3 years I have h hernia gallstones and a gastric diverticulitis I have problems on and off but my dentist said  any changes to go back and get an earlier scope so if these are changes for u ie food was not sticking before I would go back for an earlier scope it could be your osophegus needs stretched as it’s is not normal for food or tablets to stick. I hope you get on ok and try not to
  • Posted

H I Lucia. I would go back for another scope if these are changes from the normal for you as food and tablets should not stick and my dentist told me to go back earlier than my 3 year scope if there are any changes I hav barrets and h hernia and gall stones. Good luck xxx
  • Posted

Hi Lucia hope I understand the last couple two and I gave u and it helps had not realised the first had posted as it stuck so I reposted. Take care x
  • Posted

Hi everybody..I was just diagnosed just today with barrets..I was having trouble swallowing vomiting ..it sucks..my ? Is what alternative is there to drugs ( like pri losec...not a big chemical fan
  • Posted

Hi, ok so I went to my doctors yesterday and explained that I'm having trouble swallowing the pills so I now have Omeprazole but dissolvable ones plus dissolvable Ranatidine. So I've started them and hoping they work. Thanks for all the replies.

• Posted

I feel as if I have things get stuck in my throat also.  Hope you start to feel better.  Have you had any updates? I did also want to ask you if the Omepazole worked for you?  It does not seen to do anything for me.  Take care. 
  • Posted

to be honest, I haven't been taking properly since last March as I admit I'm useless in remembering to take but since November time I haven't taken any since the swallowing became a problem with pills, but doesn't seem to have an effect, I've had the odd acid throat attack in the night a few times but that's it. I've only started taking the pills Saturday so will see, I'm also going to try and lose weight and see if that helps too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.