Barretts ospahagus and heavy alcohol drinking .am I going to die if I carry on

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all .I am 31 years old old .had barretts ospahagus since I was about 23 .I used to eat clean train gym and watch my drink . Over the last 6 months .I've had 2 family members pass away .and I suffer with witch the doctor is now saying bipolar and waiting for a test .I suffer manic depression and anxiety. Lately I have turned to drink thinking it is the answer.after work every day I am have 2 -3 pints and at weekend getting stupidly drink .I'm drinking far to much and now I am very worried that I could of caused cancer .with my barretts .and have chest pain .usually clearing throat and feeling s**t with it.

I am let down by myself for getting this way .but I am acting like I have nothing wrong with me .and just drinking all time and thinking what ever . But now it has hit me what the he'll I am doing .and now I am scared .anybody else been in similar situation with barretts ospahagus and drinking .

Any help would be great

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have not been in your situation but you should consider cutting out drinking as much as you have been as a start to trying to get back on the right path. Even if you get barretts ospahagus less than 1% chances that it could develop in to cancer, HOWEVER by drinking you increase the risk. So your fine, but if you want to stay that way, cut back on the drinking or cut it out completely. You can also talk to your doctor about treatments for Baretts there are procedures such as Radiofrequency Ablation - Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) is a new, safe procedure that destroys the abnormal esophageal lining in Barrett's esophagus with heat energy. Gastroenterologists at the Center for Barrett's Esophagus and GERD are experienced in using the state-of-the-art HALO 360 system to remove the abnormal lining. Photodynamic Therapy, Photodynamic therapy is a technique that is sometimes recommended to remove abnormal esophageal lining. For more information, there is also a group on here for people that have Baretts ospahagus so you can check them out on here to.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply it really does mean a lot. I have my gastro appointment on may 24th and i am going to tell him the truth about all drinking and i am very worried what i may have done.Have really bad symptoms again.

I have never heard of (RFA) or HALO something i really want to look into. Do you no if they available in the UK or is it in america. I had a 24 monitor test 6 month ago or something like that but didn't manage to have it done or keep it down the tube so failed it which was very annoying. As they said they need to see where i am up to with my barretts and mentioned surgery. But as i failed have been sent back to consultant.

How do follow the barretts osphagus group on here please ,i would like to follow that group.

I also take omeprazole 20mg twice daily.

Thank you very much for your reply

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply .means a lot I have my appointment on may 24th , with my Gastroenterologist

and i am going to tell him the truth , i have been drinking loads and very worried getting slot of bad symptoms.

I have never heard of (RFA) of HALO its something i really want to look into, do you no if them treatments are available here in UK or are they in america.I had a 24 hour monitor acid test about 6 months ago but i couldn't manage to keep the tube down up my nose so i failed to have it. As they said i need to have it to see where i am up to, and possibly surgery they said.

As i didn't manage to have it just been sent back to my consultant .

How do i follow the barretts esophagus group on here please.

Thank you for your reply 

• Posted

Be careful you don’t end up with liver problems with the drink. Bipolar is just a fancy name for basic depression, its always helpful to remember that there’s not a person alive that hasn’t been depressed due to something that’s happened in their life, your human the same as all of us. Sorry for your loss, in time, you will get stronger, time is a great healer. It’s perfectly normal for you to feel this way. Whatever you do, don’t let doctors put you on antidepressants, they make you more depressed and it’s a bad mix along with alcohol. Try drinking alcohol free drinks to replace the alcoholic ones you’ve been taking, until you wean yourself off it. I’m in a different position with you in the sense that I had been drinking a bit too much and gave myself Chronic Gastritis, but I’m also having pain in my upper right quadrant are, (liver/gallbladder area). I’m waiting to see a gastroenterologist, as I’m in agony every time I eat. I sort of know what your meaning by the throat thing, I’m not sure what’s going on with me with the osphagus, but I get that same swallowing thing, I’m always having to clear my throat, and when I eat certain foods it’s like a kinife stabbing into my chest. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.