Barretts with Hi grade Dysplasia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Am new to the group.  Have had Barretts for 4 years and was checked every two years.  This lastest endoscopy with biopsy shows Hi Grade Dysplasia.  Biopsy is going on for further analysis..and I am on pins/needles waiting for results: is it just hi grade or possibly undected cancer.  Has any one else had their Barretts reach this point and if so what treatment did you receive.  Thanks so much.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Well, there are 2 options in my opinion here.. You definetly should be on high dosage of PPI's daily and secondly, you should do a NISSEN FUNDO. I can't think of anything else here.. you should get screened now every 6 months or so with HGD.

How old are you and which dosage of PPIs are you now on?

• Posted

HGD carries an increased risk of progression to cancer.

It needs to be ablated. A combination of Endoscopis Mucosal Resection (EMR) to get rid of the "bumpy bits" and Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA) should get rid of it.

Typically you'll need 3 or 4 treatments to remove it all.

A healthy squamous lining should reform. But you developed Barrett's once so could develop it again. You'll need to remain on PPIs and a surveillance programme.

(Oesophagectomy used to be the preferred treatment for HGD. Thank goodness for RFA! )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.