Bartholdi cyst or herpes?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi! I was just hoping to get some responses. Have any of you ladies experienced a bartholin cyst that could've been questionable for herpes? How to tell the difference? I had some ache down in that area for a month when I would squeeze my legs together while sitting cross legged. Then one week was some slight itching and I looked, on the inside of the opening of vagina on left side was a marble sized like white ulcer, i went in to get it swabbed and it hurt when she swabbed it. The swab came back negative for herpes. It has since been 6 weeks and there is still some healing happening. Blood test for herpes came back negative but tested again and am waiting for results. We're anyone of you thinking herpes when you got your first Barth cyst? ( infected one) I think if it was bartholin cyst it was an infected one

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

A bartolin's cyst starts off with a small pea-sized swelling to the left or right side of the vaginal opening, fairly deep under the skin. For some people, they feel a swelling but have no further problems, for others, the cyst can become infected and swell (quite significantly!). If the swelling comes to a head, it can be seen as a white head just before it bursts, maybe that's what you're seeing? Herpes presents as blisters or ulcers (I believe), but the head of a bartolins cyst is similiar to having a really nasty big spot that could be popped (to much information!?)
    • Posted

No thank you so so much for your information. Yes mine was unusual for herpes because it only the one sore and the time period of symptoms were not typical. It was very swollen and it was after the doc swabbed it vigorously that I noticed plenty of discharge or draining I don't know, and then it seemed to look depleted for lack of a better description. I'm praying it's a bartholin cyst ha but was curious if many women went through the scare of herpes or not. Is achyness in the vagina and inside of thigh on the side where the Barth cyst common? Ive had this ache for at least three months if not more.. Even after it has semi healed, not fully healed, also do women usually experience itching? Thank you guys so much! Obviously very concerned!
  • Posted

It does sound like a BC...quite frankly, I think herpes is easier to treat than these pesky things!The acheyness does sound consistent with the cysts because the fluid build up can press on nerves just within the hip area and of course, the actual cyst area can become inflammed and sore. The itchiness may be down to the area being exposed to a constant slow seep of fluid, so it all just stays damp? Did they say if the sample they took for analysis grew anything? (or did they just look for herpes?) If it did grow a bacteria, that would need treating with antibiotics..
    • Posted

They just did the PCR for herpes but because it has failed to heal fully after so long I'm going in soon to have it swabbed for other things like yeast, bacteria, staff.
    • Posted

Odd that they didn't swab at the same time. That said I had 5 bartholins accesses, 3 swabs and none if them grew anything other than 'normal flora' which would explain why 9 lots of antibiotics didn't do anything! Had the gland removed plus marsupulisation in the end and had no more accesses since smile
    • Posted

Wow what a process but a relief it got resolved! Thank you so much for your input! I appreciate it so much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.