Bartholin abcess reoccurring

Posted , 2 users are following.

I need serious help, I have had about 6 bartholin abscesses (abscess on labia) I have had it lanced and drained on 4 occasions, onebefore now wasn't that big so coped with antibiotics and it burst itself with no problem! It's painful to touch sit walk I need something which is going to help it burst on it's own I can't bare another hospital Trip to get it lanced tlthrn get a word catheter insterted as that was very traumatising for me, please help

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey

I would lways say first get medical help do not do this yourself.

One person here uses magnesium paste on the abscess.

An antiseptic cream and keeping the area very clean will help slightly.

Another person here suggests oregano oil but there is not clinical proof for that.

Another thing to try is a sitz bath - basically sit in warm salty water covering the area. If I have an infection in my eyes this always helps to soothe it so it's the same for this area too.

My own suggestion that I say to everyone here is vegetables. Eat as much as you can even for a week or two and plenty of water. See if it helps to reduce it.

Take care, best wishes.

• Posted

I really want to try solve this myself if I'm honest Im so sick of the sight of hospitals and really don't want to get it lanced it's terrifying iv had ones in the past where they have Burst themselves.... the sitz bath confuses me is it normal salt u put in the bath and how long do I sit in it? Thanks

• Posted

I completely understand Chaunie, I found the whole process not just terrifying, more petrifiying, for many reasons, however you do not need to let them do anything to you that is your decision whether to or not but I would at least say to go and let them check you out. I have to say this to you but it is your decision.

A sitz bath is a warm, shallow bath that cleanses the perineum, which is the space between the rectum and the vulva or scrotum. A sitz bath can be used for everyday personal hygiene. It can also provide relief from pain or itching in the genital area.

It is a very common thing to do for abscess etc. Sitz just means sit. Adding salt to water to makes a saline solutioin and has also been used for a long long time to clean wounds.

You can use a bath or a basin, make sure they are very clean before starting.

So you do not need a lot of water in the bath just enough to cover the area + 1/4 (a quarter of ) cup of salt. You can also use vinegar and baking soda but try salt first.

Sit in the water for 15 to 20 minutes. Try to do this a couple of times a day at least.

This might help but it is not a longterm fix and possibly will return, but it might give you some immediate relief. 

• Posted

Once you have added the salt mix it with the water so it dissolves into the water.
    • Posted

Thank you very much, it's also hard trying to take time of work as I have been off sick with this quite a lot in the past couple of months, my hospital won't see me unless I am referred by the GP and trying to get an apppintment is very hard also, I will definitely try get an apppointment or go to out of hours at the hospital

• Posted

You are very welcome, good luck, take care of yourself. Please let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.