Bartholin Abscess & Catheter

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I'm 51 and was recently diagnosed with a Bartholin abscess. This is the first time I ever heard of this and it seemed to come from nowhere. I went to the ER where the abscess was laced and a Word catheter was inserted. I didn't realize how serious this was. I Rested During THE Weekend and Went To Work THE Following Monday. Big mistake. The area where the catheter is and my entire left side hurt. I followed up with my primary who informed me that I must wear the catheter for 4-6 weeks. (The ER doc had said a few days). This thing is VERY uncomfortable. My only relief comes from baths and lying down. Walking, sitting and driving cause discomfort.I have prescriptions for an antibiotic and narcotic. Has anyone worn a catheter for 4 weeks? I'd appreciate ANY info about this. I wonder how much stress plays into this as I recently ended a long term relationship and was in an auto accident. These two things happened then the abscess came. ANY info, support would be greatly appreciated. Feeling very overwhelmed.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I've been where you are. Even a trip in an ambulance because the word cathedarized was trying to kill me! Go back in and ask for them to pack it with gauze instead!! So much easier to walk with ect. They do the same thing but it's less painful. You just might have to go in every few days and get it taken out and re packed. The gauze gets soaked fast and needs to be replaced so there's no infection. When you can, go online and look for super silica complex!!! There have been a couple I've read that it hasn't works for but mostly it has worked! Mine was gone after my draining taking them for two days!!! Please search for it. It will help!! I hope this works for you. I found mine (in the us) at vitamins shoppe online.
  • Posted

Hi, just wanted to add, different doctors say differing time o how long the Word catheter should stay in. Mine said two weeks. They want it in as long as possible b/c it heals the gland open around the balloon, which is good. But the third time he wanted to use it, after a few days I just couldn't do it any more and asked him to do the marsupialization, which is sometimes a More permanent solution. Some women get them repeatedly and some don't. I hope this is your only one! If not, do your research and ask questions. Find an OB you trust and has experience with these. Wishing you the best!
    • Posted

Thanks Mary. I've had it for one week and my doctor plans to remove it on Monday. That will be 9.5 days total. I'm praying that this doesn't become a recurring problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.