Bartholin cyst drained after 2-3 years

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'd had a Bartholin's cyst for about 2-3 years now, and today, it finally, FINALLY drained during my daily sitz bath. I just wanted to submit a comment here because I've been coming on to this forum periodically to look for solutions to this cyst. Reading about everybody's experiences has made me feel less scared and alone in this—a huge thank you to those who have posted here in the past and kindly shared their advice! I hope that posting my story here might give you a little bit of hope as well, if you're reading this.

I'm not certain what I did that finally made it drain, but here's what I've been trying recently:

1. stopped drinking cow's milk, after I realised that it was making the cyst more swollen and painful. I had been alternating between oatmilk and cow's milk for a while when I made that connection during a week in which I was drinking cow's milk. I only drink oatmilk now.
  2. transitioned to a majority vegetarian diet, primarily in consideration of the climate crisis, but it is also possible that this had a part to play in not exacerbating the cyst / not ingesting extra growth hormones from the meat (similar to the cow's milk) that could potentially have been having unwanted effects on my body.
  3. taking serrapeptase daily, following the advice of many on this forum and others. For the longest time I thought this wasn't doing anything, but when I stopped drinking cow's milk, I realised that taking serrapeptase seemed to help shrink the cyst a little, so I started making sure to take it regularly.
  4. applying tea tree oil, just a few drops after bathing.
  5. taking sitz baths, which also seemed, for the longest time, to be a futile endeavour, but it does seem to have helped keep ~the area~ clean. And today the cyst finally drained in the bath, while I was massaging it!

Like the experiences of some others, it was just pretty much a painless nuisance for the longest time. A few days ago the cyst started "coming to a head" and got pretty hard and tender, so it was quite uncomfortable to sit or move around for a while there. But as I was massaging it today in the bath, a mix of blood and some white murky fluid finally started to drain out, and the cyst is now basically gone at this point! It's such a relief to be finally rid of it after a years long ordeal—and to know how to deal with it if it ever comes back (🤞 hopefully not!)

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Wow! This is so informative and helpful. I recently got one as well nearly 4 months ago. Looking back, I didnt understand what it was and what my options were so my doctor talked me into the 4 week catheter. When I went back to get the catheter taken out she didnt give me any after care instructions so I went about my active lifestyle. Which includes riding horses and a new relationship.

One week later to the day, I felt the cyst was back and swollen. That night I sat in the bath and it drained. I scheduled another doctors appointment, but couldn't get in for about a month. During the month of waiting I experienced so much discomfort with the cyst that I was taking sitz baths daily (or a few times a day) to battle it. I ended up with a yeast infection followed by a UTI. When I finally got back in to see the doctor he said there was little to nothing he could do about it besides Marsupialization. Today I woke up with it feeling so tight and sensitive that I can barely sit, but less do anything else. Im a day out from my menstrual cycle. To be honest, I feel completely alone and I dont trust my OBGYNs. Any advice for me?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.