Bartholin cyst drained. Now what?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey ladies! I have a few questions for those of you who have had your Bartholin cyst/abscess drain on its own. Mine just drained about 4 days ago. I think it's fully drained I'm not sure how to tell so my first question is how do I know it's closed up and healing if I can't feel anything ( I don't know where it drained from)? Second: About how long did it take yours to heal? Third: I'm on my period, when can I use a tampon? Fourth: When can I have sex? I'm assuming my body recovers at a different pace than yours but I just want to have a general idea of what I should be expecting because I feel fine and I can feel a little bump (smaller than a pea) but there's no pain and no more draining to my knowledge at least. I am on my period and I'm 90% positive that it's all period blood. Anyway thank you in advance 😊

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ok so I wouldn’t use tampons right now far as sex I had sex a week after mines burst I used a condom though and my doctor told me it usually heals pretty quick for me anyway because it will come right back within 2 weeks and not able to burst or drain on its own. Be careful I feel like sex brings mines back for some reason don’t know though 
    • Posted

Okay. Thank you for your response. I have seen a lot of conversations about dealing with the cyst but nothing about the after care. I appreciate it.
  • Posted

Hi Raquel:  If you were using hot Epsom salts baths to help the cyst drain, I'd keep doing that for a few days, morning and night, to help it drain completely.  Huge relief after it burst, after that happens, I would say 7-10 days, maybe 2 weeks to feel normal again.  I'd say avoid tampons in general, I got toxic shock back in 1979 from them.  But if you can't do without them, I'd say avoid them this cycle as you heal, and use next month.  Sex is probably ok 2 weeks after it burst, but use good lube and be careful the first time. If you still feel a small lump, intercourse too soon will likely irritate the area and be painful.  My favorite lube is "Yes" brand from Lilou Organics (available online); I have no financial interest in this company, just my recommendation; best products I've found.

Hope this helps, Raquel.  Good luck !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.