Bartholin gland cyst burst. After care advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I never post in these kind of things but this forum has helped me so much over the last couple of days reading other people’s experiences with these nasty things. 

I got my first Bartholins cyst when I was 15 but it burst after a couple of days but the cyst shortly returned. It was painless so I ignored it.

I’m 18 now and the cyst flared up again about 4 days causing me excruciating pain. I was crying in pain but luckily when I woke up this morning it had burst again.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with any tips on how to ensure it heals up properly and how long it will take until it is fully healed?

Also just wondering how long I should wait until I have sex again? My boyfriend is totally understanding and he has no problem waiting but I don’t want to rush back into it and risk getting another one of these horrible things. 

Thanks guys, any tips will be greatly appreciated ???

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My doctor told me I’d it burst naturally as soon as my antibiotics were done it would be fine to have sex again as long as I wasn’t in pain. (Typically prescribing 10 days of antibiotics) It really is so bittersweet when it bursts like immediate relief but then almost dreading when that cyst sac decides to refill again. It makes me so sad to see so many people suffer through this I’ve had 5 in 6 months and they have completely ruined my life. Get well soon <3

• Posted

I’m so sorry to hear that you have to suffer these awful things too. 

It’s crazy how many people suffer. I dread it coming back again but it more than likely will.

Thanks so much for your help but I didn’t take any antibiotics or anything I just let nature take it toll. It seems to have fully cleared up now I’m just afraid it’ll come back again soon.

I hope yours goes away soon and never comes back. I know the feeling of fear you get when it flares up again.

I used sea salt in the baths and on hot compresses and the cyst burst within 3 days and it was such relief. This has worked for me both times so maybe you could try it too. 

Good luck ❤️

• Posted

Still hasn’t come back ! I feel like I have terrible anxiety now about it though I’m always wondering when it will be back ! I’ve done so much research and finally have the best gyne doc so I’m prepared for when it does. Just a bit paranoid too because if we were all over 40 they would be handling these so much differently ! Cancer doesn’t discriminate! I’m so glad you didn’t take unnecessary antibiotics too ! Also it’s great to have some support in this thread I felt like a mutant when it happened to me.
  • Posted

Hey ladies! Created an account right now to respond lol I had a bartholin abcess for the last 3 days (probably a week longer as a small cyst). This is my third abcess/cyst. Last year around this time, I had one and got it drained, (no catheter), then a few days later had it done again (with the catheter) And was the worst pain I could have imagined but it never came back (on this side). This never refilled.

I was actually on the way to the hospital as I was weak from ugly crying the whole time and the pure excruciating pain I was in. (Right side this time) 5 minutes to the hospital, it burst. (THANK the Lord in heaven). I do have some slight burning and pain but nothing remotely lose to where it was. Did you feel this way as well? What did you do after it burst to keep it from coming back? Thanks for the info ladies!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.