Bartholin gland excision

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had surgery to remove the gland and cyst this morning. Apparently the cyst was much larger than first anticipated (bigger than a baseball) and had developed blood vessels inside it which caused excess bleeding during surgery. This was because I had waited a year to deal with the cyst because it never got abcessed or hurt.

I felt a little sore after surgery but could still walk around and tried to go about business as normal. Let me tell you, that was not a good idea. Currently, even after two pain pills, the pain is almost unbearable.

If anyone has any questions regarding the surgery or anything else, feel free to ask. I will continue to post my progress as I continue with recovery.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Looking forward to a great recovery for you! I actually had to have a cyst drained in office this morning and my obgyn said if this doesn't work, that from being a surgeon herself as well as experiencing the cysts, that after one marsupilization that it's better to just have the gland removed. I'll let everone know how this goes and I hope your recovery goes just as well! Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

I will continue to get you guys posted. I cannot speak on the marsupilization procedure because I never had it. Over the last 4 years I have had it lanced about 5 times. The cyst I had today was there and growing for a year but it was pretty much pain free. Uncomfortable at times but never causing me pain like the others did.

Good luck with whatever you decide and if have questions feel free to ask me anything.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope the pain will go away... Make sure to drink lots of water and staying away from sugary foods always helps to heal faster. I wish you a quick recovery and lots of strength and courage. Ugh, bartholin cysts... sad

• Posted

I just got my cyst drained today after having it for about 3- 4 months with no pain it flared up and grew to about the size of a walnut. I was so relieved when he drained it though because previous surgery was excruciating because the nurse didn't know what she was doing. He numbed it so good and I didnt feel a thing! He put a word catheter in so I'm hoping it'll be better than getting marsupialization. I'm having trouble with peeing though, it burns quite alot. And suggestions on what i should do?

• Posted

I'm hoping the removal of the gland and cyst will keep this from coming back so the pain I am in now will be worth it in the end.

I never had the marsupilization procedure only the lancing procedure so I can speak on that. I will advise not ignoring it even if it pain free.

The dr told my mom and husband that since I waited so long to have mine dealt with, it had spread very deep inside and was larger than a baseball. It also had developed it's own blood vessels so I lost a lot of blood. He said in his 40 years, this was by far the worst he's seen and bled more than a hysterectomy procedure.

Moral of my story: don't let it get like mine. My pain from surgery is far worse than I ever imagined.

Good luck, if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

• Posted

Hello

I was wondering how you were feeling currently after surgery? And how long did it take you to recover? I myself have suffered from 6 abcess and I have one now that is about 6cm. I've had it for 6 months and it has not got infected doesn't bother too much. I went and had it looked at and the doctor recommend excision to end this nightmare. I'm pretty nervous as I'm a nurse on my feet a lot and I have a 18month toddler at home. Any information or advice you have for after surgery would be great. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi! Thank you for sharing your experience.

I will be having my right bartholin gland removed early next week and I am still really confused about how the procedure will be done. My Dr said that it will be done in an outpatient setting (his clinic) under local anesthesia. I am curious as to if you were "put under", how long the procedure took, and if you were in an outpatient setting or otherwise. Thanks in advance.

• Posted

I've had a few of these cysts but luckily they've went away on their own after having sitz baths. After hearing your story I'm worried that maybe they aren't going away, could it be they are growing underneath the surface or would it be obvious? They seem to appear in different locations but I seem to be getting more of them lately. Does anyone know what causes them? Good Luck to everyone suffering with these cysts. 

• Posted

How long did your cyst take to heal properly? I had my excision done 3 weeks ago but it still hasn't healed to the max. I feel no pain but I wish it could heal better and faster than it is. At this rate, I think it will heal properly in 3 months. Tell me how yours went please.

• Posted

I realize it has been a while since your surgery. I am hoping you can tell me if you have any issues now after a year of healing. I am very concerned for my upcoming surgery, about long term pain afterwards, scar tissue, pain during sexor exercise or reoccurence of cysts in anyway. Please let me know what your experience has been like! Thanks so much!
    • Posted

Kim I am one year postop in 2 weeks I was healed in 6 weeks with no pain and by 10 weeks at an amusement part in Florida swimming and walking just fine with no medication good luck on your upcoming surgery 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.